Tips to keep your family happy this weekend

As UA Family Weekend approaches, it can be hard to know how to deal with Dad raiding your pantry or Mom scrutinizing the state of your decaying living area. The Arizona Daily Wildcat has you covered, though, with some tips on how to prevent your family weekend from turning into a Clark Griswold-esque misadventure.

Don’t play the ’embarrassed’ card
    This isn’t middle school anymore, where your parents dropped you off and kissed you goodbye as your cheeks flushed red and your friends all laughed at you. You’re an adult now, just like your parents. So when you take them down University Boulevard for a nice leisurely stroll, take a little pride in knowing that your parents have taken an interest in your everyday life, especially if they don’t visit you very often.

Don’t be afraid to go off the beaten path
    Yes, the university has put together some nice events for this weekend, but that doesn’t mean you have to stick with them, especially if your parents are from out of town. Luncheons and fairs are all good and fun, but don’t be afraid to show your parents what you’re really into. Take Dad to Frog & Firken and buy him a beer (if you’re of age). Take Mom to Los Betos to show her what you eat when your 3 a.m. hunger pangs strike. Take Grandpa to Club Turbulence to help him feel young again.

Buy into the charade
    While there is something inherently hambone-y about Family Weekend, it’s all with good intentions. But you can take advantage of the cheesy family activities to create a bonding experience. As cliché as it sounds, it’s true: The underlying goal of Family Weekend is to get students and their families together in an active environment. Visiting a dorm room and going to dinner on a random Saturday is one thing. Accompanying your family on a campus tour, followed with some mystery dinner theater is something completely different, and probably not on your regular agenda when the parents usually come into town.

Accept the criticism
    When your parents hassle you about your choice in friends, your eating habits, the arrangement of furniture in your dorm/apartment/house, just accept it with a grain of salt. These subtle criticisms are Mom’s way of feeling involved with your life. And remember, she brought you into this world – she can take you out of it.

Have some fun with it, you prude!
    Rather than moping through Family Weekend, counting down the hours until it ends and you can continue your usual regimen, remember that this may be one of the only meaningful times you spend with your folks this semester. Besides, a little bit of effort will go a long way with your parents. Mom just won’t shut up about it in her e-mails to you . . . and that’s a good thing.