Police Beat: Apr. 10

Thanks for lunch … twice

A male UA student noticed that his wallet was missing from his back pocket at 1 p.m. on Thursday after riding his bike home from the Science and Engineering library. He checked his backpack, but remembered that he put his wallet in his back pocket before leaving the library. After looking at his bank account online, he noticed that his Bank of America Visa card had been charged multiple times for purchases he did not make. This included an unknown transaction of $40, a purchase from Jack in the Box for $20.88 and a purchase from Taco Bell for $7.08. He also checked his CatCard balance online and saw it had been charged $25.

He then contacted the University of Arizona Police Department. The officers asked him what else was in his wallet. He told them there was a single $20 bill, his driver’s license and a wallet-size photo of his mother. Officers verified transactions at the Jack in the Box and Taco Bell with his bank, and asked the two restaurants if they could see their security surveillance camera footage. One of the restaurants appeared to have a potential suspect on its surveillance camera, but was unable to figure out how to make a copy of the video. There are no further details at this time.

Drive-thru fighting

A couple, both UA students, were drinking with some friends at 10 p.m. on Thursday when they decided to go to Eegee’s to get some sandwiches. They began arguing in the drive-thru, and the man told his girlfriend, “I don’t like it when you are all over me and you embarrass me when you display too much affection in front of my friends.” The argument escalated once they received their food, and as they drove away the woman yelled, “Get the fuck out of my car.” She then stopped abruptly, and he grabbed her sandwich and threw it out the window. She started yelling at him and asked him why he did that, and he looked at her, swung his arm around and hit her in the shoulder. She began crying once he started hitting the car seat, and he demanded that she take him home.

The woman began dialing 911, but hung up when the man yelled at her to get off the phone. She then drove to UAPD. While the woman was inside asking for help, the man fled the area.

She told officers about the incident and told them he has a history of domestic abuse with past girlfriends. Officers examined her right arm and took photographs of the injured areas. Officers searched areas around the man’s house and found the man in the passenger seat of a car that was driving up to the residence. The officers asked the driver to leave and for the suspect to exit the car and sit on a nearby brick wall. The man told officers that he did not hit the woman, only the car seat.

As officers talked to the man, they noticed the smell of alcohol coming from his breath. Officers investigated the man further and eventually arrested him. They put him in the back of their police car and booked him at Pima County Jail for assault, domestic violence and disorderly conduct. As he left, he told officers, “I didn’t even like her anymore, I am graduating in May and I don’t want to jeopardize my standings.”