Review: ‘Fuller House’ is almost too nostalgic

America’s beloved sitcom “Full House” returned on Netflix this week with the reboot “Fuller House.”

The series focuses on the recently widowed D.J. Tanner (Candace Cameron Bure) who enlists the help of her younger sister Stephanie Tanner (Jodie Sweetin) and best friend Kimmy Gibbler (Andrea Barber) to help raise her three sons after the death of her husband.

The premiere episode “Our Very First Show, Again,” reminisces the original show. The original cast prepares for one last reunion before heading off to their separate lives. Joey Gladstone (Dave Coulier) prepares to return to Las Vegas, while Danny Tanner (Bob Saget), Rebecca Donaldson-Katsopolis (Lori Loughlin) and Jesse Katsopolis (John Stamos) head off to Los Angeles. Danny and Becky will cohost their new national morning talk show while Jesse continues his work as a music supervisor for his show “General Hospital.”

Right from the start, the debut wastes no time in referencing the original “Full House” through the use of memorable catch phrases and jokes such as Joey’s classic “cut-it-out” catchphrase and Bullwinkle impression. The introduction of each character is swift as they receive applause from the audience.

The opening credits of “Fuller House” are similar to the theme song of the original series “Everywhere You Look” by Jesse Fredrick.

The downside to the premiere actually lies in its heavy use of nostalgia. It might be entertaining for a show that wants its audience to indulge in the past, but for a series that is attempting to set its own tone, the premiere does not offer much in terms of innovation.

With this dependance on the original, the debut only attracts an audience that understands the style and theme of the “Full House” franchise. For those not familiar with the original, the premiere might not be as appealing. One can only hope that the next 12 episodes will show more creativity and set their own tone while attempting to reboot one of TV’s most popular sitcoms.

D.J. Tanner is now thrust into the exact same situation that her father was once in: single-handedly raising three kids while attempting to hold down her job. Upon realizing that D.J. is in desperate need of help, Stephanie decides to move in along with Kimmy and her daughter. The ending of the pilot parallels the beginning of the original series, only this time it’s three women who embark on a family style adventure as opposed to three men.

For fans that have waited to rejoice in this popular sitcom, the waiting is officially over. The entire first season is available on Netflix now.

Follow Ernesto Fierro on Twitter.