Modern Classical: A new option for that study playlist

A rather nice guy recently told me he listens to 3OH!3 when he studies for exams. Shortly afterward, that same guy tried to smash a bottle of Miller High Life on his head. 

This taught me two lessons: First, be careful who you ask about “study” music, and second … you can tell a lot about a person based on how he answers a question about “study” music.

It’s an important choice, what music to study to. Too wordy, and you won’t absorb a single thing in your textbook; too calm, and you’ll wake up six hours later drooling all over it. 

So what kind of tunes can we turn to when faced with an all-night study marathon? Try one of these contemporary classical musicians on for size:

Ludovico Einaudi, Turin, Italy

To call Ludovico Einaudi a genius would be an understatement.  Born in 1955, he studied at the world-renowned Conservatory in Milan before bursting onto the composition scene with his famous album, “Le Onde.”  Since then, he has become one of Europe’s most influential pianists, composing for concert halls and films alike.  

Essential songs:
    1. “Primavera”
    2. “Divenire”
    3. “I Giorni”
    4. “Nuvole Bianche”
    5. “Indaco”
    6. “In Un’Altra Vita”
    7. “Oltremare”
    8. “Andare”
    9. “Eden Roc”
    10. “Nightbook Solo”

Giovanni Allevi, Ascoli Piceno, Italy

Giovanni Allevi is the thinking man’s pianist — literally. Equal parts composer and philosopher, Allevi attended the Giuseppe Verdi Conservatory in Milan, graduating with a degree in music composition and a doctorate in philosophy. Perhaps one of the most famous composers in all of Europe, he performs music and lectures on philosophy at sold-out arenas over the world.

Essential songs:
    1. “Portami Via”
    2. “Come Sei Veramente”
    3. “Jazzmatic”
    4. “Prendimi”
    5. “Back To Life”
    6. “Aria”
    7. “Il Bacio”
    8. “Go With The Flow”
    9. “Notte ad Harlem”
    10. “Incontro”