“Ohio State suspends Tressel for two games, fined $25,000”

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel will be hit with a two-game suspension and a $250,000 fine after withholding information about players who committed NCAA violations, school officials announced a day after Yahoo! Sports revealed the allegations.

The university self-reported the violation to the NCAA and self-imposed the punishments, but it could get bigger penalties after the NCAA reviews the ongoing case.

“”Obviously, I’m disappointed this happened at all,”” Tressel said at a news conference on Tuesday night. “”I take my responsibility for what we do at Ohio State tremendously serious.””

Ohio State officials had said they did not learn of the financial relationship between two players and a local tattoo parlor until Dec. 7. Athletic department officials learned on Jan. 13 that Tressel knew of the matter through e-mails in April, when they were looking into an another unrelated legal matter.

Tressel said an attorney asked him via e-mail to keep the matter private so he would not interfere with a federal investigation that turned out not to involve the players.

He said he never considered resigning, and athletic director Gene Smith said Tressel would not lose his job over the

incident.

“”Wherever we end up, Jim Tressel is our football coach,”” Smith said. “”This case in my view does not warrant (termination). There’s no question in my mind his decision was from the heart.””

Smith said Tressel violated Bylaw 10.1, which involves ethical conduct and is considered a major infraction by the NCAA.

Five players, including quarterback Terrelle Pryor, were suspended the first five games of the 2011 season after it was discovered they had sold memorabilia in exchange for tattoos. The players were allowed to participate in the Sugar Bowl victory against Arkansas after school officials claimed they did not educate the players regarding rules about selling team items.