Carey, Scott, Hill named to All-Conference teams

Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey was named to the All-Pac-12 Conference first team while quarterback Matt Scott and receiver Austin Hill were named to the second team, Monday.

Carey, a sophomore, is the nation’s leading rusher and is the first UA first-team running back since Clarence Farmer in 2001. In Friday’s 41-34 loss to ASU, Carey broke former Wildcat Trung Canidate’s single season rushing yards record (1,602) and he currently has 1,757 yards and 20 rushing touchdowns heading into bowl season. He is just two touchdowns shy of breaking Art Luppino’s record set 58 years ago.

Joining Carey on the first team is Oregon’s Kenjon Barner, and UCLA and Stanford backs Johnathan Franklin and Stepfan Taylor were second-team choices.

Scott came into his first full season as Arizona’s starter as a fifth-year senior, but his one year in head coach Rich Rodriguez’s spread option system proved successful, as he passed for 3,238 yards and 24 touchdowns, adding 485 yards and five touchdowns on the ground. Scott is the Wildcats’ first quarterback named to the second team since Willie Tuitama in 2008.

Oregon’s freshman Marcus Mariota, also the Pac-12 offensive freshman of the year, was the first-team selection.

Hill, also a sophomore, broke out to the tune of 1,186 receiving yards on 73 receptions with nine touchdowns, all team highs, and had 29 catches of 15 yards or more. Hill was a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award, given annually to the nation’s best receiver. Oregon State’s Markus Wheaton and USC’s Marqise Lee were named to the first team, and USC’s Robert Woods joined Hill on the second team. Lee, who lit the UA up for 345 receiving yards on Oct. 27, also won offensive player of the year.

Receiver Dan Buckner, center Kyle Quinn, linebacker Jake Fischer and safety Jared Tevis were named All-Pac-12 Honorable Mentions.

Buckner was second on the team with 59 receptions for 741 yards and five touchdowns, Fischer first with 106 tackles while Tevis was fourth with 72 tackles to go with two interceptions.

ASU’s defensive lineman Will Sutton was named the Pac-12 defensive player of the year, thanks to his 10.5 sacks. Stanford’s David Shaw won coach of the year after leading the Cardinal to a 10-2 record and the Pac-12 Championship game on Friday despite losing quarterback Andrew Luck to the NFL Draft.

USC defensive end Leonard Williams is the freshman defensive player of the year after recording 7.5 sacks and one interception for the Trojans.

Last year, Arizona had just one All-Pac-12 selection, to the second team, in former cornerback Trevin Wade. Quinn, safety Tra’Mayne Bondurant, kicker John Bonano and ex-Wildcats receiver Juron Criner and quarterback Nick Foles were All–Pac–12 Honorable Mentions.