VH1 teams with UA sorority to save the music

UA’s Tau Beta Sigma music sorority will be hosting VH1’s Save The Music benefit concert this Friday from 6 to 10 p.m. Tau Beta Sigma came together with local bands to create the show. There will be two stages with alternating performances by Breadbrick, Affinity, Man Over Board, The Hermit Tree, Boreas, James Mills, Better Late Then Never and Verdant.

“”This is a cause we all believe in,”” explained Rachel Bennett, a pre-physiology junior. Bennett, along with other members of her sorority, came together with VH1 to make the concert possible. Bennett explained her views on music programs falling victim to cuts.

“”With all the recent budgets cuts, we know as an organization that this cause is really important. We all went through music programs in elementary and middle school. Some were good, some were bad. All students deserve a chance at music,”” said Bennett.

The bands involved echo this view. “”It’s a great cause and we’ve done a lot of work with charity before. We’re glad to be involved,”” said Michael Weiss of the band Breadbrick. Weiss was sure to mention the freebies the band will be giving out, “”We’ll be giving out free demos. It’s a good incentive to come!”” Not only will some bands have free CDs available, but also the concert is free. A donation is suggested. “”Even if it’s just one dollar, it helps,”” said Bennett. She hopes that the benefit will raise a good amount of money to give underprivileged kids access to music programs. The Hermit Tree’s Bekah Sandoval hopes that musicians will come out to see the bands performing. “”It just goes to show the variety of music the campus has to offer,”” said Sandoval. She encourages everyone to come out and enjoy her band’s progressive-folk styling. With a noble cause in mind these campus cohorts are coming together to create some beautiful music and save the programs so many children are losing.