Rugby player named an All-American

Arizona men’s club rugby center Jordan Kohn was named an All-American by the United States of America Rugby Football Union yesterday.

“”Jordan is an extraordinary, dedicated rugby player,”” said Arizona head coach Dave Sitton. “”He loves the game and is a big part of our team.””

Kohn will represent the U.S. in matches against the Canadian U-23 team in Toronto on June 28 and 30.

Ironically, Kohn, who hails from Calgary, Canada, has played for the Canadian U-19 and U-21 squads. Kohn also led the Calgary Rugby Club to a Canadian super-league championship last summer.

Roughly half of the team he will play against will be former teammates, Sitton said.

He cited Kohn’s personality as one of the reasons that makes him stand out. Though the team has official practice gear, during some of the unofficial workouts, Kohn has been known to dress “”provocatively,”” wearing pink shorts from France “”and things like that just to see what I’ll do,”” Sitton said.

“”He’s a very likeable guy, and he’s very popular amongst his teammates, but he does things just to drive me nuts,”” he added with a laugh.

Attempts to contact Kohn yesterday were unsuccessful.

Kohn, a junior with two years of college eligibility left, is the first Arizona player to be dubbed an All-American since Joe Schmitt in 2003.

Kohn helped Arizona to a 10-4 finish this season. The Wildcats ended the season ranked 25th nationally.

“”He’s a good kid, from a great family,”” Sitton said, “”and he’s become a very important part of our program.””