ASUA briefs

Zona Zoo road trip

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate voted at their meeting last night to give $3,185 to Zona Zoo for a student road trip to Tempe for the Arizona vs. ASU basketball game on Feb. 5.

The road trip will cost students approximately $10 to $15, but only thirty students will be able to go as this was the number of tickets allocated from ASU to Zona Zoo.

Students must have a Zona Zoo pass to be eligible for the trip.

The $3,185 covers a T-shirt, a round-trip bus ride, a ticket to the game, and possibly other miscellaneous costs such as snacks or a meal.

Senator Lauren E. Conway, a political science sophomore, said this is a great deal for UA students because general admission tickets to the game are $40.

Zona Zoo is expected to return excess money they make from ticket sales, approximately $700, to the Senate once the trip is completed.

Campus clubs receive money

The Senate also approved nearly $11,000 in funding for campus clubs.

Of that money, $3,541 will go to the Anatomy Enthusiast Society, who had requested funding for two cadavers to practice dissections and surgeries on.

The figure was lower than the original amount requested in last week’s meeting, which was $4,052.50, because it sent back to the Appropriations Board for adjustment.

Some members of the club were present at the meeting, along with a medical surgeon who will be teaching and overseeing the cadaver work.

They all attested to the fact that they are getting a good deal on the cadavers through the UA Medical School, as well as the facility they will be using.

Other club funding that was approved included money for Relay for Life, a philanthropic event in April. However, after last night’s meeting, the club will no longer be able to receive funds from ASUA because of a bylaw change that was approved last night.

The new bylaw states that ASUA will not fund clubs for “”direct philanthropic contribution”” or for events in which more than 30 percent of the event cost was paid for by another organization.

The Big Dribble coming up

Conway introduced and explained an upcoming event called The Big Dribble.

The event is a “”dribbleathon”” in which teams will relay dribbling basketballs around the UA Mall. The event will be held on the Mall Saturday, Feb. 24, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is sponsored by Optimi.

The team that wins with the fastest time will receive free tickets and travel to the Feb. 5 Arizona basketball game.

More information about team sign-up and rules will be announced shortly. Conway said she hoped to make an ASUA Senate team for the dribbleathon.

Internal Review Committee introduced

David Reece, ASUA executive vice president, announced the formation of the Senate ASUA Internal Review Committee, which will serve as a “”check”” on ASUA to help improve spending resources and other ASUA internal issues.

This committee is only open to ASUA members, and Reece said he hopes all senators take part in the committee.

“”ASUA needs to examine itself,”” said Senator Brad Burns, a political science junior, who is the chairman of this committee.

Some senators were opposed to the formation of this committee and said it would not be beneficial for ASUA.

“”I feel it will harm the image of ASUA,”” said Senator Samantha Kerr, a pre-health education senior.

– Andrea Lerch