Local bands that make the grade

The Crowd is guaranteed to rock your socks, plus they always draw a pretty happenin crowd.
    The Crowd is guaranteed to rock your socks, plus they always draw a pretty happenin’ crowd.

Tucson bands come and go, but these two gems are bound to be around for awhile.

The Bled

www.thebledsite.com

Genre: progressive hardcore

Sounds like: Radiohead married to Refused and Cave-In

Upcoming events: check Web site periodically

“”Tucson bands seem to be pushing themselves harder to get out and tour, and not just settle for being another local band,”” said Ross Ott, guitarist and former UA student. “”I think that because bands from Tucson are becoming more successful, it is very encouraging for new bands to stick with what they’re doing and work hard. It shows that there’s hope for them to do well, even coming from a small desert city.””

The band matured in the Old Pueblo, advancing their music style and making changes to the line-up. The boys grew up and honed their skills at local venues like Skrappy’s, according to Vagrant Records web site.

Their first full-length album, Pass the Flask, was released on Fiddler Records and enjoyed a warm reception from T-Locs and fans nationwide, according to the Vagrant Records web site.

Found in the Flood, brought the band to a new level as they added an instrumental influence to standard hardcore beats, and wrapped it all together with haunting choruses, according to the Vagrant Records web site.

Currently they are on the Warped Tour with fellow Tucson rockers, The American Black Lung.

The Crowd

www.myspace.com/meetthecrowd

Genre: psychedelic progressive rock

Sounds like: The Beatles meets The Shins

Upcoming events: July 27 at 36 Chambers, August 7 at Skrappy’s

“”The past year or two (the Tucson music scene) has developed immensely and has been bringing a lot more mature acts and mature music,”” said Dave Mertz, drummer for The Crowd. “”I think we have one of the best scenes in the southwest right now.””

The Crowd recently self-released a studio album entitled, Secret Serpents. Their shows tend to transfer up-beat feelings to the listeners, and dancing is always highly encouraged by band members. On their April 29, show at Che’s Lounge, the band celebrated during their set because bassist, Bryan Moran, had turned 21 years old that day.

But even if it is not someone’s birthday, this band wants to have a good time (and they want their fans to be along for the ride).