Dallas County man charged in assault of girlfriend accused of attacking her again

Dallas County man who was out on bail awaiting trial in the assault of his girlfriend faces a new indictment, accused of attacking her again by raping her and mutilating her body. And he’s still free.

Jose Arreola, 32, faces multiple charges involving violence against the same woman two years ago. But a state district judge lowered his bail over the objection of prosecutors who consider him a flight risk because he has already fled once to a home in Mexico and has access to large amounts of cash.

Judge Fred Tinsley said the district attorney’s office wanted a bond higher than some murder suspects get, and added that had the district attorney not dawdled in prosecuting Arreola for the 2009 charges, “”We might not be in this situation.

“”… In that section of the DA’s office, they have a habit of sitting on cases.””

Jamille Bradfield, spokeswoman for Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins, did not address the judge’s comment about the prosecutorial delay but said, “”We strongly opposed the bond being lowered. It is unfortunate that the judge disagreed with us, but we will continue to seek justice.””

A sheriff’s department investigator called the most recent attack on the woman “”particularly revolting and monstrous.”” According to court records, Arreola beat the 41-year-old woman March 13 with his hands, a lamp, a cement brick and an unknown object, then sodomized her before using knives to cut her sexual organs. Four knives, a knife sharpener and a lamp were recovered with the victim’s blood or hair on them, records say.

Paige Flink, executive director of The Family Place, said the attack was among the most brutal she has heard of a woman surviving. Flink and others who work with domestic violence victims have raised concerns that the suspect’s bond was lowered. “”Given the viciousness of the crime, why wouldn’t you want that person staying in jail?”” Flink said.

The Dallas Morning News does not generally identify victims of sexual assault. She could not be reached for comment, and her attorney did not return calls.

Arreola was dating the woman and, at times, lived with her. Court records show Arreola is married and has five children with his wife and three children by other women. He also financially supported the woman he is accused of assaulting.

In the summer 2009 incident, the woman told Duncanville police that Arreola head-butted her in the face three times. He also is accused of squeezing her neck while holding her head under water in a backyard pool.

When she tried to escape, she said Arreola pulled her by her hair into the house, “”stating he would kill her if she did not ‘shut up.'”” She said she kept screaming and Arreola hit her in the head with a vase and she passed out.

She said Arreola took her to the hospital but told her if she pressed charges, he would post bond and return to “”finish the job.””

Later, she told police, Arreola kept calling and texting to ask for forgiveness.

A few months later, court records show that the woman told police Arreola tried to enter her home through the back garage door. She said he ripped her coat, blouse and bra and took her purse.

Arreola was indicted on a robbery charge, though the police report said, “”There is more to the incident than 1/8the woman3/8 is telling police.””

After the woman was first attacked, Arreola was charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury with a deadly weapon, family violence and robbery in 2009.

But Arreola, a Mexican citizen, fled south of the border. He later returned and was allowed to remain free on bond.

According to a state motion objecting to the recent bond reduction, Arreola and his family own two auto shops in the area. He has posted more than $415,000 in bonds over the last year and eight months for charges pending against him.

After being arrested in the March assault on the woman, Arreola’s bond was set at $750,000; Tinsley lowered it to $225,000. Arreola posted bond and was freed pending trial. Arreola’s attorney did not return calls for comment.

Arreola was indicted in the March assault on Friday. He also faces a 2011 misdemeanor family violence charge and a retaliation charge.