Football lands ‘freak of an athlete’ at TE

Sonny Dykes’ new offense is quickly finding its building blocks.

The recently-hired UA offensive coordinator got a major piece for next year’s attack with the verbal commitment of four-star Pittsburgh Woodland Hills tight end Rob Gronkowski.

“”He’s considered an immediate impact player,”” said Josh Gershon ofgoazcats.com, part of the rivals.com recruiting network. “”If you can get a big-time player on offense, that’s what (the Wildcats) need. They need guys that can go out and catch the ball next year, that can make plays right away.””

Gronkowski did not return phone messages left for him last night.

The 6-foot-6, 232-pound New York native, who transferred to Woodland Hills before his senior season, is rated thenation’s fourth-best tight end byrivals.com.

“”His junior year, he was one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the country in New York,”” Gershon said. “”(His senior year) it was more of a running team, and he was used as a blocker. At that point, he kind of became one of the best run-blocking tight ends in the country.

“”He can basically do it all at his position.””

Gronkowski announced his decision live nationally on ESPNU, choosing Arizona over Clemson, Ohio State and Syracuse.

“”He’s got NFL size,”” Gershon said. “”He’s a freak of an athlete.””

Cason to announce pro decision today

Junior cornerback Antoine Cason, widely considered a top prospect for April’s NFL Draft, will announce whether he will turn pro in a 1 p.m. press conference today.

Cason, who finished the season third on the team with 62 tackles, three interceptions and seven pass break ups, would have until midnight Jan. 19 to withdraw his name from consideration should he declare.

UA head coach Mike Stoops is also expected to comment on the draft status of junior defensive end Louis Holmes, UA’s other underclassman considering turning pro.

Junior running back Chris Henry has already declared for the draft.

Folk, Steptoe in all-star games

Seniors Nick Folk and Syndric Steptoe will join UA safety Michael Johnson in taking their talents to college football’s postseason all-star games, where seniors look to impress pro scouts before the draft.

Folk, a placekicker who also punted this season, will kick in Jan. 27’s Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. The game will be televised nationally on the NFL Network at 1 p.m.

Steptoe, a wide receiver who can return kickoffs and punts, plays Sunday in Honolulu’s Hula Bowl on ESPN at 6:30 p.m.

The duo join Johnson, who last month was named to the West roster for the annual East-West Shrine Game in Houston Jan. 20, which will be shown on ESPN2 at 5 p.m.