Pennell: Friday’s ESPN report was not accurate

UA interim head coach Russ Pennell completely denied a recent story that some of his players could be ineligible for tonight’s opener due to an NCAA investigation.

Andy Katz of ESPN.com reported Friday that Arizona may face six ineligible players for receiving excess expenses while participating in the Arizona Cactus Classic, an AAU tournament, in McKale Center from 2006-08.

Katz cited unnamed sources in his story as saying that the NCAA’s Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee was in the process of determining the status of six Wildcats.

However, in an interview on Friday with Pennell, the coach denied the report.

“”That is not true,”” Pennell said. “”My full 12 guys will be suited up Monday night for the NIT (tournament).””

According to ESPN’s report, Zane Johnson, Jamelle Horne, Garland Judkins, Brendon Lavender, Kyle Fogg and Alex Jacobson would’ve been targeted for participating in the Cactus Classic during such time period.

But at no point this season has any of the six been ineligible, Pennell said.

The report stems from earlier this fall, when the UA announced it submitted a self-report to the NCAA regarding possible violations from Lute Olson, who allegedly asked boosters for donations for the Cactus Classic.

“”Our team will be intact Monday night in McKale. End of story,”” Pennell said.