Mailbag

Balanced opinion essential in Wildcat

As a new semester begins at my alma mater, I’m hoping that the Wildcat’s opinions pages will present a good deal of ideological balance – something that doesn’t happen often on college campuses. As the token conservative columnist at the Wildcat from fall 2001-spring 2002, I made it a point to hire additional right-leaning writers when I had the privilege of being the opinions editor in fall 2003. As soon as I was out of there, the Wildcat resumed its course of having no more than one conservative on its editorial team. Students have plenty of left-wing opinion from the UA’s professorial team. Representing every side of the political spectrum is essential, and it would be fantastic to see the Wildcat step up and fill that need.

-Shane Dale; alumnus, class of 2004

Library race an enjoyable event

I wanted to thank the library staff publicly for a wonderful introduction to the Main Library, OCSR, and Special Collections through the Amazing Library Race last Friday (Aug. 17). I found all of the staff informative and eager to help. Everyone was kind and accommodating, and the event was fun, too! As a new graduate student, I found this to be a very worthwhile use of my time.

I thank you for all of your efforts, and I hope that this function continues to be funded in future years, too.

-Rachel Cannady; graduate student, School of Information Resources and Library Science

Giffords should avoid foreign affairs

Gabrielle Giffords never fails to display her incompetence in the most amazing ways. First off, why is an Arizona congresswoman trying to be involved in the Middle East peace process? Shouldn’t she be busy fighting for Arizona’s share of the pork barrel-spending our members of Congress love so much? International affairs should be left to the executive branch so we don’t have 535 unbearably obnoxious clowns trying to look important by pushing their opinions ahead and undermine the Constitutional authority of the president over such matters.

-Alex Hoogasian political science senior