Tucson’s Dusk Music Festival returns for round six

Chloe Hislop
Dusk Music Festival 2019 attendees pose for a picture with some of the festival decorations. Dusk is an annual music festival at Armory Park in Tucson.

Alison Wonderland, GRiZ and Young the Giant are coming to Jácome Plaza alongside 19 other acts dispersed across three stages for Tucson’s sixth annual Dusk Music Festival on Nov. 11 and 12. 

This year’s artist lineup features multiple genres including alternative, indie, techno, dance and electronica, similar to previous Dusk lineups. Last year Grouplove, Porter Robinson, Jimmy Eat World and Diplo were the headliners. 

Dusk is currently Tucson’s largest music festival, although it’s not as big as other ones in the state such as Decadence Arizona and Goldrush Music Festival, two similar EDM festivals, or the annual Country Thunder Arizona festival in Florence, Arizona. 

But in terms of experience, what makes this multi-genre music event so appealing to well-known artists and consumers is its level of authenticity and intimacy.

“We are a small town, a small boutique festival, but I think we do a lot of things the right way and strive to make sure everybody has a great time and provide a little something for everybody,” said Page Repp, Dusk co-founder and festival director. 

The community-based festival features almost all local vendors, restaurants, performing and visual artists and services. It presents opportunities to students and local artisans to showcase their talents on a large and commissioned scale. 

Most of the art installations are curated by students through the festival’s partnership with the University of Arizona School of Art’s 3D & Extended Media program. Dusk also hosts a Battle of the Bands and DJ competition that are open to local artists. The winner earns a set on the Vantage West Credit Union Discovery Stage. 

RELATED: Q&A: Phoenix indie band Breakup Shoes to make Tucson debut at Dusk

Local “LatinX” pop-rock band Tonight’s Sunshine secured themselves a set after they won the 2022 competition held at Hotel Congress on Oct. 21, and Mason Leitstein, who goes by the stage name Nomadik, won the DJ competition on Oct. 22 at Gentle Ben’s.

“Giving these kids an opportunity to showcase themselves on this stage, that’s the thing I’m actually most proud about with the whole thing that we get to do,” Repp said. “We just love the city and love the space and want to give back.” 

Other co-founders of Dusk are UA alumni John Rallis, Steve Stratigouleas and Pete Turner, who grew up in Tucson. Phoenix native Repp has lived here since 1992, which is one of the primary reasons that inspired them to start Dusk. Their passion for their city is part of the pitch to artists and sponsors. 

“All the good stuff seemed to always happen in Phoenix. There wasn’t really anything big that Tucson could put its arms around and be proud of, so we’re hoping this can be one of those things that we can be proud of as a city,” Repp said. 

Repp is as hands-on as they come regarding blueprinting and developing each year’s festival. He manages all things set design and construction through his company Repp + McLain Design & Construction. He even constructed last year’s giant windmill installment and said he has another custom piece ready to go for the upcoming festival.

What started out as a grassroots festival is steadily making a name for itself, growing 15-20% annually. Expected attendance this year is 11,000-12,000 over last year’s 9,000. 

What you need to know

Dusk runs from Nov. 11-12 in the heart of Downtown Tucson at Jácome Plaza, 101 N Stone Ave. Tickets are on sale now with prices starting at $65 and go up to $549 dependent on single or 2-day passes for general admission, VIP experience and platinum experience. 

Friday, Nov. 11 shows:

GRiZ; Young the Giant; Cannons; Nora En Pure; Zomboy; Aluna; Breakup Shoes; KennyHoopla; Kyle Walker; Slothrust; Spag Heddy

Saturday, Nov. 12 shows:

Alison Wonderland; NGHTMRE; Sofi Tukker (hybrid DJ set); 4B; Dillon Nathaniel; Dion Timmer; Inzo; Lauren Sanderson; Lubelski; Royal & The Serpent; Sophie Powers

Stay in touch and get in tune

Get notified on the latest updates regarding DUSK Music Festival by referring to their social media platforms and outreach. Listen to the Official DUSK 2022 Artist Playlist on Spotify. 

Text “DUSK” to 480-530-5559 

Dusk Instagram: @duskmusicfestival

Dusk Twitter: @dusktucson

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter