Summer Sports Update: ‘Golden Child’ may return

Mustafa Shakur
    Mustafa Shakur

Point guard Mustafa Shakur appears to be headed back to Arizona for his senior season, according to a source close to the basketball program.

The source said he is “”pretty sure”” Shakur will be back.

Arizona assistant coach Josh Pastner said his gut feeling is that Shakur is “”beginning to lean toward coming back”” to school.

Shakur will still work out with the Memphis Grizzlies tomorrow and has spent time in Chicago working out for numerous NBA teams. The Philadelphia native averaged 11.2 points and 4.7 assists per game last season and has been a three-year starter with a career average of 9.5 points per game.

Shakur, who has not signed with an agent, has until June 18 to decide if he wants to withdraw from the NBA Draft. NBADraft.net currently has Shakur in the 2007 draft, going at No. 29. ESPN.com ranks Shakur as the 19th-best point guard eligible for the 2006 draft.

Former guard Hassan Adams has worked out for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, Houston Rockets and Utah Jazz thus far. Adams is listed at No. 36 overall on NBADraft.net, a second round selection owned by Minnesota.

Recruiting Update

After attempting to add a five-star prospect to next year’s recruiting haul, the Wildcats have officially finished their 2006 recruiting class, according to Pastner. With one scholarship still available for 2006, Arizona has chosen to spend it on the 2007 recruiting class.

Arizona had been looking at Dallas power forward Darrell Arthur (South Oak Cliff High School), the recruiting Web site Scout.com’s No. 2 power forward, but he recently committed to Kansas.

Incoming freshmen forwards Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill and guard Nic Wise have signed for 2006. Santa Ana, Calif., center Alex Jacobson (Mater Dei HS) and San Diego forward Jamelle Horne (San Diego HS) have committed for 2007 with Phoenix guard Jerryd Bayless (St. Mary’s) being undecided after committing initially.

The Wildcats figure to sign two more players for the 2007 class, along with the aforementioned trio.