Brain Droppings

George Carlin died over the summer, but he left a legacy behind–20 comedy albums, 14 HBO stand-up specials, five books and one Supreme Court case. Of the media that survives the controversial comedian, his book “”Brain Droppings”” is perhaps the most comprehensive chronicle of Carlin’s oft-taboo views, providing a middle-finger-shaped window into the mind of America’s most legendarily explicit comic.

Carlin writes in the preface: “”The decay…of this culture is astonishingly amusing.”” Over the next 200 pages, the late comedian tells us why, lampooning everyone and everything, taking no prisoners and showing no weakness as he draws from decades of standup and idle thoughts.

Seeing Carlin’s irreverence compounded in one dense medium will bring laughs and make you think. The lack of narrative and organization of his material, however, can become tiresome, even boring, on occasion.

For veteran Carlin fans, this book can be enlightening- even a little refreshing ? when famous bits like “”A Place For My Stuff”” and “”People I Can Do Without”” appear in text for the first time. Newcomers are advised to watch some of Carlin’s stand-up before picking up “”Brain Droppings,”” But whether you’re a newcomer to Carlin or not, the book’s lack of structure may lead you to believe that Carlin’s potty mouth is better suited for bathroom reading.

– Brandon Specktor