The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

100° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: November 7

    Blame game, wrong name, shame

    University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the University of Arizona Medical Center in response to a report of an intoxicated man refusing to leave the lobby at 2:15 a.m. on Nov. 3.

    The man, who was identified by his CatCard, complied with officers when asked to sit down for questioning. He told police he’d been walking to Yavapai Residence Hall when a security guard pulled him inside the hospital lobby and would not allow him to leave.

    Throughout the conversation, officers noticed the man’s breath smelled like alcohol and that he slurred his speech. Initially, he refused to tell UAPD officers if he’d drank beer or liquor earlier, then he denied drinking altogether. The student then told police he’d consumed alcohol at an unidentified party near UAMC.

    The hospital security guard told police the student had run into the lobby, knocking on the locked surgery waiting room and asking to speak to the woman inside at 1:55 a.m.

    According to the guard, the student had said he knew the woman working behind the desk as “Stacey or Tracey,” which she denied. The guard then asked the student to leave, but after his refusal, called UAPD.

    UAPD cited and released the student for charges of minor in possession, and, due to his lack of medical distress, warned him not to return as he left on foot. Following this, the student reappeared saying the medical staff had taken his cellphone.

    Both the security guard and police were unable to locate his phone and the man left again.

    He saw the sign

    A UAPD officer arrested and released a man for reportedly kicking over signs on First Street and Mountain Avenue at 8:02 p.m. on Nov 3.

    Police located a man in his 20s fitting the description witnesses initially gave sitting in an old, white sedan on the south side of First Street. The man identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license.

    Other officers were told to search for a possibly involved woman in the bordering area. An officer found the woman walking her small dog in the surrounding area near the car.

    The man told police he was driving from McDonald’s on Speedway Boulevard when his car began to run out of gas. As he turned south onto Mountain Avenue, attempting to locate a parking spot, his power steering turned off and he ran out of gas. In frustration, he got out of his car and kicked a sign before pushing his vehicle to the front of Pima Residence Hall.

    The girlfriend additionally said she’d seen her boyfriend knock the sign over. Officers asked the man to empty his pockets to check for any drugs or weapons, but had none.

    Prior to being found in his car, the man said he attempted walking down First Street in hopes of getting either gas or aid from several people. Upon receiving no assistance, however, he “gave them the finger.”

    The man was cited for an interference with official traffic-control device and was told to move his car.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search