Police make arrest after report of shots fired

After hearing a report at roll call that a man shot an automatic weapon from a vehicle at Condit and Morgan streets at about 12:50 p.m. Monday, police officers tracked down the vehicle and arrested a 19-year-old felon on numerous weapons charges.

Decatur patrol officer Randy J. Clem said in a sworn statement that he was detailed to the area of Condit and Woodford streets about 2:30 p.m., following the report that a white Hyundai Sonata involved in a shooting earlier that day was in the area.

Clem spotted the vehicle parked in the 1200 block of East Leafland Avenue. He saw a man leave the vehicle and cross the street.

The man ran away when Clem stopped his squad car in the middle of the street and ordered the man to stop in order to question him.

The suspect, later identified as Arcarius Anderson, was quickly apprehended about one block away by other officers, in a backyard on Condit Street, police Sgt. Steve Chabak said.

Clem then returned to the Hyundai, in which he noticed a rifle barrel and pistol grip in the back seat, partly concealed by a blanket. The rifle was loaded and ready to fire, with a round in its chamber and a magazine loaded with 29 .22-caliber bullets.

Officers determined that the vehicle belonged to Warrensburg residents, whose daughter knew the suspect. The vehicle owners reclaimed their Hyundai.

Anderson, who was on probation for an attempted residential burglary conviction in October, was booked into the Macon County Jail on numerous preliminary charges, including aggravated unlawful use of weapons, unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon, possession of a firearm without a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card and resisting a peace officer.

He is being held on a $75,000 bond with his arraignment scheduled within a week in circuit court.