Date Book

Thursday, June 15

• Lecture. Searching out “”hyper-velocity stars”” that are evading the Galactic Center at over 1.5 million mph! It might not be the latest Blockbuster hit but it is the topic of a public lecture presented by the Multiple Mirror Telescope Observatory. Dr. Warren Brown from the Harvard University Center for Astrophysics will present “”Stars Ejected from the Galaxy by a Massive Black Hole.”” 7:30 p.m. Steward Observatory, Room N210
  • Discussion. Want to minimize your environmental footprint? Bring your lunch to the third of five lunchtime discussions about the 5Rs – Recycle, Reduce, Reuse, Repurchase and Rethink. This week’s discussion on Reusing will provide activities, handouts and a presentation. 11a.m. Student Union Memorial Center, Agave Room
  • Lecture. Geriatric Grand Rounds presents “”The Role of Physical Therapy in Geriatric Care”” by Michael C. DuBois. Noon. Arizona Cancer Center, Kiewit Auditorium
  • Friday, June 16

• Lecture. Jorge RodrÇðguez Memorial Lectureship and Residents Research Day. The UA Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Science presents a showcase of current ophthalmic research by faculty, residents and students. Also presented: a guest lecture by Dr. Mark B. Horton on “”The Use of Telemedicine to Improve Compliance with Diabetic Retinopathy Standards of Care in Underserved Populations.”” 4 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., poster presentations; 4:45 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., graduate presentations; 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., lecture. Four Points Sheraton, Conference Center, 1900 E. Speedway Blvd.
  • Saturday, June 17

• Reading. What is red, as big as a house and coming to Tucson? Clifford, the big red dog! Make summer reading fun by attending “”Storytime Around the World Welcomes Clifford,”” where native readers from Language, Reading and Culture in the College of Education will share stories for young children. Bring your camera, as special character guest Clifford will take his picture with you and sign your books. 10:30a.m. UofA Bookstore
  • Tuesday, June 20

• Lecture. Doctoral student Noah Thomas will present “”The Archaeology of a 17th Century Metallurgical Workshop in its Historical Context, Paa-ko (LA 162), Bernalillo County, New Mexico.”” Arizona Archaeological and Historical Society Lecture will discuss the region’s past understanding of metallurgy along with the implications it had on the development of Spanish mining interests and on the adoption of the technology by Pueblo and Navajo groups. 7:30 p.m. University Medical Center, Duval Auditorium