Police Beat: November 26

“You’ll feel better”

Two students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for minor with spirituous liquor in body on Nov. 11.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol around 1 a.m. when he observed two women standing around another woman holding up her hair on the sidewalk.

The officer heard one say, “Just throw up; you’ll feel better.” However, the woman did not throw up. The officer pulled over and asked to speak with them.

All three women tried to get into a taxi, but they complied when the officer asked them to get out.

The officer spoke with the woman who had been trying to throw up. Her eyes were bloodshot and watery, and the officer could smell intoxicants from her mouth when she spoke. The officer also noted that her words were slurred, she swayed while standing and she had to lean against the vehicle to remain standing.

She said she did not need any medical attention. The officer read the woman her Miranda rights and asked her if she understood. She said she did. The officer asked her if she had any alcohol to drink that night, and she again said she did.

The woman said she drank the alcohol somewhere near Sixth Street. The officer asked her if it was at a fraternity, and she said it was, identifying it as “Alpha Sig.”

The woman said she drank beer but could not remember how much she consumed.

The other two women said they would watch the intoxicated woman to make sure she was OK.

“It’s cool”

Two students were referred to the UA Diversion Program for possession and use of marijuana and associated paraphernalia on Nov. 13.

A UAPD officer observed two men sitting in a dark corner of a parking lot near Sixth Street and Tyndall Avenue. The officer approached the men, smelled burnt marijuana and observed a metal marijuana grinder located next to one of them.

The officer introduced himself and identified the individuals.

One of the men, at first, said that the two were smoking cigarettes prior to the officer’s contact. The officer chose to conduct a separate interview with this individual and read him his Miranda rights, which he said he understood, and he agreed to answer the officer’s questions.

The male student told the officer that he and his friend met up there to smoke weed. He said he had the weed in the grinder and smoked it before the officer arrived. He didn’t tell the officer where he got the weed.

Before the officer talked to the other male student, the one he had been interviewing told his friend, “It’s cool. I already told him we smoked weed.”

Eventually, the men gave up the marijuana and paraphernalia, which were contained inside their backpacks.