Baseball to begin CWS quest in Ann Arbor

UA ace Preston Guilmet pitches at Sancet Stadium. The Arizona baseball team earned a top seed in its regional, but will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to play.

The Arizona baseball team earned a top seed in the NCAA College Baseball tournament, but the regional site won’t look anything like Tucson.

The Wildcats will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for an NCAA Baseball regional hosted by No. 2-seeded Michigan in its four-team sub-field, the NCAA announced Monday.

With an 38-17 overall and 12-12 Pacific 10 Conference record, Arizona earned its second consecutive at-large bid.

As the only top seed not to host its regional, the Wildcats will play No. 4-seed Eastern Michigan in the opening round this weekend, while the Wolverines take on No. 3-seed Kentucky.

“”After not getting selected as one of the 16 regional host sites it was nice to be recognized a No. 1 seed,”” said UA head coach Andy Lopez in a news release. “”We’re looking forward to getting out to Ann Arbor, but we definitely have a stiff test in front of us with the three other schools in the regional.””

The NCAA also selected ASU, Stanford, UCLA and California for five Pac-10 bids. The Southeastern Conference led the field of 64 teams with nine bids.

Two-time defending national champion Oregon State did not receive an at-large bid.

The 16 teams who advance from winning each regional will move onto super regional from June 6-9.

Miami, North Carolina, NC State, Coastal Carolina, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Long Beach State, ASU, Florida State, Cal State-Fullerton, Rice, LSU, Stanford, Oklahoma State and Georgia host the other 15 regionals.

Michigan, the only northern school to host a regional, earned the No. 2 seed despite playing a mere 23 home games all season. The vast contrast to ASU’s 40 home games left the Wolverines with a tough road schedule this season.

“”You give me 18 more games playing at home, and let me play a good opponent – let me bring Arizona or somebody to Michigan to play and I’ll take my chances of playing at home,”” said Michigan baseball head coach Rich Maloney in a phone interview with the Daily Wildcat. “”And I would be glad to play an opponent but I can’t get any of those opponents to come here.””

Stay current for continuous College World Series coverage with the Arizona Daily Wildcat