Police Beat: March 22

Dumpster diver

A male construction employee called the University of Arizona Police Department at 4:22 p.m. on March 13 and said he saw a man in a dumpster going through the trash. Officers arrived at the scene and spoke to the witness and the construction site’s manager. The site manager said he saw the man get out of a white Honda Accord and begin searching through the dumpster, then approached the man to ask him what he was doing. The man in the dumpster did not respond and pretended to not know what the site manager was talking about.

The site manager told him that he was not allowed to search through dumpsters on UA property, and asked him to leave. The man left and did not say anything back to the manager. Officers searched surrounding areas for drugs, but did not find any. The site manager asked officers to patrol the construction site, as construction workers would be renovating for 30 days and high volumes of copper and metal scraps would be in trash cans.

Wrong place, wrong time

A librarian at the Health Sciences Library called UAPD to report a disruptive male student at 1:45 p.m. on March 12. Library employees repeatedly told the student that he was not allowed to play loud music in the library, but he refused to stop and tried to stay past closing time. Officers went to the scene and asked the student to stop, and for his ID. His name was scanned into UAPD’s system and officers found the student had a warrant out for his arrest for failing to previously appear in court for trespassing. He was arrested and placed into the back of a police car. He was then taken to Pima County Jail and cited for his previous warrant.

Hugs, not drugs

UAPD officers pulled over a silver vehicle for making a right hand turn into the left most lane at 1:28 a.m. on Monday. Officers asked the two students in the car if they had been drinking, and they said that they had not. The male driver said, “No, I just got out of prison so I don’t.”

The officers then asked for his driver’s license and registration, but he did not have either because he did not know where they went since he was released from prison. Officers then scanned his name into their system and found his license was suspended. When they told him about the suspended license, he said he did not know about it. Officers also noticed a small bag of mushrooms or marijuana in the car. They searched the car and found four bags of mushrooms, three bags of marijuana, two scales and a small bag of Vicodin pills.

Both students were then arrested and placed in the back of a police car. The driver told officers that the drugs weren’t his, and said, “I let people borrow my car all the time, so I don’t know whose illegal drugs that is nor did I have anything to do with it.” Both were taken to Pima County Jail for possession of marijuana, narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia.