ASA to hold Lobby Day Thursday

The Arizona Students’ Association is hosting its 20th annual Legislation and Lobby Day Luncheon at the state Capitol Thursday, and officials expect the event to attract more than 200 students from universities across the state.

“”We do an annual lobby day every year to try and get as many students as possible down to the Capitol to discuss bills that have to do with higher education,”” said Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog. “”It’s great because students get to visibly show their support or opposition of these bills.””

Every Arizona legislator has been invited to participate in the event, and more than half of the Legislature has agreed to meet or have lunch with students, said Serena Unrein, executive director of ASA.

“”Many of (the legislators) will be joining us on the house lawn,”” Unrein said of the event, which includes UA, UA South, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University.

Lobby Day is coordinated to give students the opportunity to have their voices heard, as well as to provide lobbying training so that students can become familiar with the process and learn more about how the Arizona Legislature works, Unrein said.

“”We hope that students take advantage of this opportunity,”” Unrein said. “”It’s a lot of fun and a great experience.””

Buses will leave Old Main Thursday at 6:30 a.m., and Hertzog said there is already more interest in the event than in the past.

“”We have more students than we ever have, and ASA has actually purchased buses to take at least 50 students to the Capitol this year,”” Hertzog said. “”We are already at our 50, and if we continue to get an influx of students we will hope to get more buses.””

Even professors have shown their support for the excursion, Hertzog said, adding that one of her professors offered extra credit for students who attend.

“”I have been e-mailing different professors and departments to ask them to encourage student participation in the event,”” said Deema Tabbara, a political science senior and ASA director. “”Surprisingly, they were really excited about it.””

Students who would like to attend the event can email Robyn Nebrich at robyn@azstudents.org or call the ASA office at 602-294-6900. The event is free for students and runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Lunch is provided.