From the paper-bound to the silver screen, ‘The Host’ loses something along the way

Stephenie Meyer’s 2008 novel and recent film adaptation “The Host” remains a refreshing change of pace from her melodramatic vampire romance series, “Twilight.” “The Host” is a science fiction, post-apocalyptic novel depicting what happens when the human race becomes too violent for its own good, and alien parasites called “Souls” implant themselves in surviving humans in order to restore humanity.

“The Host” has been called Meyer’s first adult fiction novel, possibly because it brings up ethical questions and adult concepts of right and wrong. The “Souls” are supposedly a peaceful race, who just want to end the corruption humanity has caused, by latching themselves onto humans brains, and reestablishing peace on Earth. Although the character development is somewhat one-dimensional, the story really soars in its perfect mix of Orwellian drama mixed with what Meyer does best — a love affair between mortal and immortal.

The Soul who invades main protagonist, Melanie, falls in love with one of the last rebel survivors of the human race, Ian. Their love story is tragic because The Soul, who Ian fondly calls Wanda, is stuck in Melanie’s body who still has conscious thought despite the parasite in her mind. Melanie fights against Wanda’s affections for Ian.

Through a series of trials and tribulations the love web between Wanda, Ian, and Melanie and her human boyfriend Jared, ends in a surprising twist. Spoiler alert: no one turns into a vampire. For all of the “Twilight” haters out there, reading another Meyer novel is probably the last thing on your to-do list, but if you give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised. However, whatever you do, stay away from the film adaptation, and certainly do not see it before reading the book.

“The Host”, which was released in theaters March 29, might as well be the poster child for the saying “the book is always better than the movie.” The whole intrigue of the book was its science fiction aspect that made you keep wanting to read.

The movie however, eliminates most of the excitement, and hinges on teen angst and plot high points that fall flat with drawn-out and awkward make out sessions. As one Rotten Tomatoes critic worded it, “This is not the first time that Meyer’s muddled prose has dragged an interesting director [Andrew Niccol] to his artistic doom.”

Next time you’re at Barnes and Noble, give “The Host” a try. But save yourself $8 and two hours of your time, and opt for something a little less headache-inducing if you’re hitting the silver screen anytime soon.