Lo-fi legends cap off reunion tour in Tucson

Lou Barlow, Eric Gaffney and Jason Loewenstein aren’t just three veteran musicians: They’re living legends.

These three men comprise the original lineup of Sebadoh. While the name might not be obviously familiar, they’re considered one of the most influential indie rock bands of all time. Their peers include big time acts like Sonic Youth, Pavement and My Bloody Valentine.

After six albums released between 1989 and 1993, Gaffney left Sebadoh. The band found a replacement and continued making music, but the original lineup was no more. That is until this year when the original lineup embarked on its first tour since 1993. Given the band’s high acclaim, this was a big deal.

After 14 years of being apart, the original three members of Sebadoh began their reunion tour earlier this year in San Diego. Barlow (also of Dinosaur, Jr. fame), Gaffney and Loewenstein have rocked each of the dates thus far.

“”It ends up being really loud,”” Gaffney said, referring to the band’s live show. “”It’ll rock your world.””

Gaffney says that more than half of the band’s current tour dates have sold out, but at the end of the day, “”It’s just nice to have a crowd.””

What does Gaffney think about being part of such a largely influential group? Not much, it seems.

“”I just think about making up songs that I like and doing what I do,”” Gaffney said.

One of the reasons Sebadoh became such a big deal was the band’s do-it-yourself attitude. Nearly two decades ago, home recording was something special and time-consuming. Now that computers have made the process seamless, anyone can do it. Still, Gaffney sees good music being produced.

“”There’s always good music happening no matter how bad you think the state of music is,”” Gaffney said. “”I’m always excited to hear something new.””

So what’s the big reason for Sebadoh ending its tour in the Old Pueblo? There isn’t one. The band will just head to Los Angeles after the show to recover from months on the road.

Sebadoh will close out its reunion tour Monday night at Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. The show is 21 and up but has an early door time: 7 p.m. Tickets are $12 at the door. A sell-out is likely, so get there early.