Talking Points

“”In past years at this polling place, which is in a park, there was never a line, but the wait was about an hour. Well, it wasn’t really a line, because it wound around a small playground, forming something approximating an “”O.”” At one point, an African-American woman wearing a beautiful leopard-print scarf around her head came out of the polling station and walked along the circle saying “”In the White House, In the White House, In the White House.”” No other words needed to be said. For her, and for all of us watching her expression of sheer joy, hope had arrived.””

– anonymous reader, quoted on Andrew Sullivan’s blog at andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com, Nov. 4, 2008

“”Obama is almost certain to disappoint in big ways; he doesn’t have the money to pull an FDR, or even an LBJ. He will have to fulfill their committments before he can look to his own, and the tax situation is looking pretty dire. Obama may turn out to be the president of tax increases and spending cuts, which didn’t work out so good for the first George Bush.””

-ÿMegan McArdle, “”Whither Conservatism?”” TheAtlantic.com, Nov. 3, 2008

“”Five terms I hope never to hear again for the rest of my existence: (1) Joe the Plumber; (2) Hockey Mom; (3) game-changer; (4) tightening; (5) Sarahcuda. … Commenters have added numerous other phrases worthy of permanent banishment, including: Drill, baby, drill; First Dude; throw under a bus; in the tank; Real Americans; The Mac is Back (or any permutations involving ‘The Mac’); my friends; and, for my most glaring oversight: Maverick.””

– Glenn Greenwald, Salon.com, Nov. 3, 2008

“”The media have simply announced that they’re content to be the eunuchs in Sultan Barack’s harem.””

– columnist Mark Steyn, Oct. 30, 2008

“”I guarantee you, if (Obama) wins Arizona, he wins the presidency.””

-ÿNational Democratic Party
    Chairman Howard Dean, Tucson,
    Nov. 3, 2008

“”My friends, it’s been a long, long journey.””

– Sen. John McCain, Prescott,
    Nov. 4, 2008

“”I voted.””

– Sen. Barack Obama after coming out of a polling booth on Chicago’s South Side, Nov. 4, 2008