Police Beat

Attempted theft at Highland Garage

Police were dispatched to an attempted burglary call on Oct. 22 at 4:22 a.m.

An employee with the Parking and Transportation Department called officers to respond to the Highland Garage to report an attempted burglary.

The employee told officers that between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m. an unidentified suspect attempted to steal a keyboard from the cashier building by using its USB cord and trying to pull it through the opening at the southern end of the cashier cage. The keyboard’s wire was in two pieces.

There were no suspects or witnesses. A security camera may have caught some footage of the attempted burglary.

Woman cited for shoplifting pens

A woman was cited and released for shoplifting on Oct. 23 at 11:01 a.m.

Police responded to a call from the loss prevention staff at the UofA Bookstore saying they had a shoplifter in custody. When police arrived they made contact with an employee who said a woman was seen putting two art pens into her waistband and removing Burt’s Bees Wax Lip Balm from the container and dropping the container.

Police then made contact with the woman. She told officers she needed the pens for an art class and decided to take them without paying. The woman said she had money to pay for them, but needed it for other things. Officers asked her where she put the lip balm because it was not on her. She said she dropped it in the clothing area because she decided she did not want to take it.

The woman was cited and released for shoplifting. The total for the items was $5.38.

Man admits to intent to steal pens

A man was cited and released for shoplifting on Oct. 23 at 11:31 a.m.

An officer was at the UofA Bookstore on a different call when an employee from loss prevention informed him that they had a shoplifter in custody.

The officer made contact with the man. He had taken a pen off the shelf and put it into his backpack before exiting the bookstore. The man told the officer that he needed the pen for class but forgot his wallet, so he did not have money to pay for it. He told the officer he entered the bookstore with the intent to steal the pen.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting. He was told he could not return to the bookstore and was referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. The total of the item was $1.27.

Minor taken to UMC for alcohol poisoning

A man was cited for being a minor in possession of alcohol on Oct. 23 at 2:05 a.m.

Police were dispatched to the Apache-Santa Cruz Dorm in reference to a sick male. When they arrived they made contacted with the subject, who was in a bathroom stall vomiting. The man was mostly incoherent, had bloodshot, watery eyes, and smelled of intoxicants.

The man told officers the he was extremely drunk. He admitted to drinking wine. The man also told Tucson Fire Department respondents he was drunk.

After an examination, it was determined that he needed to be transported to University Medical Center for additional treatment.

Members of the Apache hall told officers that the man had drank an unknown amount of wine at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house and came back to the dorm alone. Shortly after, he began to feel sick and went to the bathroom to vomit.

Police met the man at UMC where he was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol. He was also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.