The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

100° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat

    A man was arrested for possession of marijuana and narcotics paraphernalia, and false reporting to law enforcement Monday at 1:24 a.m.

    At 12:59 a.m., an officer was patrolling under the eastside of Arizona Stadium, 540 N. Vine Ave., when he noticed a man in his 20s sleeping under the concourse on the ground.

    The officer made contact with the man and asked him if he had any identification. The man said “”no”” and verbally identified himself as from Pennsylvania.

    The man said he is homeless and has slept under the stadium before, but at times stays at the homes of friends who live in the area.

    A records check on the name given by the man returned no records found. The man gave a second name and a Social Security number, and still no record was found.

    The man consented to a search of his backpack. In the backpack, the officer found a 2007 W-2 form with the man’s correct personal information.

    Also inside was a clear plastic bag containing a green, leafy substance, a chrome grinder with residue and a glass pipe with residue.

    The man said he was holding the pipe for a friend.

    Also found was a wallet containing an identification card.

    The officer arrested the man and transported him to Pima County Jail.

    A man was punched in the mouth by an unknown man on the northside of the Sixth Street Garage, 1201 E. Sixth St., at 2:10 a.m. Sunday.

    At 5:24 a.m., an officer responded to the emergency room at University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., in reference to a man who was being treated for assault.

    The man had lacerations to his lips and mouth, and had a tooth knocked out.

    The man said at 2:10 a.m. he was walking eastbound on East Lowell Street behind the garage when he noticed a man walking toward him who appeared to be drunk.

    He told the man to calm down, and the man punched him once with a closed fist in the mouth before walking away.

    The man said he walked to Highland Market, 501 N. Highland Ave., and met some friends; there they noticed his mouth bleeding and took a cab to UMC.

    The man had very little information about the suspect and said he would not be able to identify him. He said he did not want to do anything about it, and that there were no other witnesses.

    The man was discharged from the hospital, and the officer gave him a ride to his residence.

    A woman with an outstanding warrant for minor in possession was transported to UMC for extreme intoxication March 27.

    At 11:34 p.m., an officer was on patrol on East Second Street and North Euclid Avenue when he saw a woman fall out of a parked taxi west of the intersection.

    Although the woman had a warrant out for her arrest, the officer did not serve it because of her extreme intoxication.

    The woman was transported to UMC. The officer briefed the dayshift staff and requested they serve the warrant and cite the woman upon her release.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search