Calendar of Events

Wednesday, June 17

Ever wondered why the Wicked Witch of the West was so, well, bad-tempered? Author Gregory Maguire did, too, so he wrote a book about it: “”Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.”” He’ll be discussing the book, as well as – we presume – the hit musical based on it. Be sure to ask about his new bestseller, “”A Lion Among Men.””
    The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. 7 p.m. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free; seating limited to availability.

Bela Fleck first heard the banjo on “”The Beverly Hillbillies”” when he was a kid. Now he’s one of America’s most renowned banjo players and a nine-time Grammy winner. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to see a professional banjo player, this is the time. (Don’t bring your own banjo; please, leave it to the professionals.) Also playing tonight will be Toumani Diabaté, a Malian kora player.
    The Rialto Theatre. 318 E. Congress St. 8 p.m. $37-$49.

Thursday, June 18

Indie-rock luminaries Wilco and groundbreaking art band Grizzly Bear will perform at Centennial Hall at 8 p.m. This highly anticipated – and sold out – show promises to be worthwhile. Can’t make it? Don’t fret; there’s still an after-party show at Rialto Theatre featuring Wilco with Holy Rolling Empire and Here We Go Magic.
    The Rialto Theatre. 318 E. Congress St. 11 p.m. Free with original ticket stub or $5 general admission.

Friday, June 19

Are you ready for Badfest? And by “”bad”” we really mean “”good.”” (It’s one of those ’90s things.) This innovative multimedia event features moving images projected on the walls during a set that includes Marianne Dissard, Monster Pussy and Flagrante Delicto. It promises to be a unique time, so don’t miss it.
    The Rialto Theatre. 318 E. Congress St. 9-11 p.m. Ticket prices vary; see www.rialtotheatre.com for details.

Saturday, June 20

Confusingly enough, this singer used to call herself Santogold, until a mail-order jeweler called Santo Gold threatened to sue. Regardless of her name, Santigold is still one of the most acclaimed indie artists of recent years, with a unique style that blends elements of punk, reggae, grime and electro. Check her out and see what the fuss is about.
    The Rialto Theatre. 318 E. Congress St. 8 p.m. $21 in advance; $23 day of show.

Bored with the usual flow of your iPod mix? Can’t stand the thought of hearing that Third Eye Blind song for the thousandth time? Never fear: The multi-racial Occidental Brothers Dance Band International mixes up a little of everything, from jazz to rumba. They’re sure to remind you why you have ears in the first place.
    Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave. 9 p.m. $10. All ages.
    (Correction: The concert has been relocated to the Mat Bevel Institute, 530 N. Stone Ave. Price and time remain the same.)

Sunday, June 21

Remember the Bay of Pigs? Unless you’re older than we are, you probably don’t remember the botched April 1961 coup against Fidel Castro. But UA’s Arizona Repertory Theatre is here to help with “”Rum & Coke.”” They’re staging this irreverent play about the infamous event to jog your memory and, hopefully, make you laugh. If you hear a faint Boston accent muttering angrily in the empty seat next to you, don’t worry – it’s just the ghost of JFK.
    Marroney Theatre, near the southeast corner of Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard. 1:30 p.m. $28 general admission, $26 for seniors, UA employees, and military; $19 for students.

Monday, June 22

Sunset Rubdown hail from Montreal, Canada, and they’re on their second U.S. tour and their fourth album. With album titles like “”Shut Up I Am Dreaming”” and Random Spirit Lover, they’re sure to appeal to the Aldous Huxley side of every indie kid out there. With Witchie and Elfin Saddle.
    Plush, 340 E. 6th St. 9 p.m. $8 in advance; $10 at the door.