“he said, she said, they said”

Two days ago, President Bush authorized the movement of 14 individuals suspected of al-Qaida involvement from secret prisons to the detention center at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for military tribunals, pending congressional approval. The move made waves, as it was the first official confirmation of the existence of secret prison facilities abroad. Opinions run the gamut on the necessity for secret facilities and what may or may not have occurred therein.

What the president said:
    These are dangerous men with unparalleled knowledge about terrorist networks and their plans for new attacks. The security of our nation and the lives of our citizens depend on our ability to learn what these terrorists know. … Were it not for this program, our intelligence community believes that al-Qaida and its allies would have succeeded in launching another attack against the American homeland.

-President Bush, according to a Wednesday Associated Press article

What the other detainees’ lawyer said:
    President Bush has finally realized that American values are the way to win the war on terror – the values of true openness, a commitment to having fair trials and not allowing the torture of detainees.

-Zachary Katznelson, lawyer representing 36 Guantanamo detainees, according to a Wednesday Washington Post article

What a European parliament member said:
    George Bush is steamrollering his way over even his own judicial system. It is essential that the (European Union) steps up its efforts to put an end to this terrible abuse of human rights.

-Liz Lynne, European parliament member, in a Washington Post article yesterday

What students said:

I don’t like those secret prisons. I think that everyone should know about the prisons – you don’t know what’s happening to the prisoners. It seems like this could happen in countries like North Korea, but not here.

-Wook Tae Jung
    pre-computer science freshman

It didn’t surprise me that there were secret prisons. But obviously, if they were secret, there was something unethical and immoral about having those prisons. I think it’s unjust for the people in the secret prisons to be transferred to a real prison – why weren’t they there in the first place?

-Tahlia Bragg
    psychology junior

It’s better to have a public response so people know what’s going on with these issues, but at the same time, I think that on some security issues, it’s worthwhile that some of this stuff is concealed and not public knowledge all the time. I think in some circumstances it’s worthwhile, otherwise not – sort of a mixed bag.
    -Jacob Lauderdale
    architecture graduate student