Fast Facts

• The giraffe was originally known as the cameleopard, due to its resemblance to both a camel (in shape) and a leopard (from the spots on its fur).
  • Don’t remove the thorns from roses; doing so makes the flowers susceptible to bacterial infections.
  • Vanilla comes from orchids.
  • Elephants can suck gallons of water into their trunks, but they have to squirt it into their mouths to swallow the liquid.
  • MasterCard’s corporate headquarters are located in Purchase, N.Y.
  • Jimmy Carter claims to have seen a UFO in 1969.
  • Adm. David Farragut’s famous line “”Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!”” didn’t refer to the motorized projectiles of today but rather explosive mines in the water.
  • The Beatles held every spot in Billboard’s top-five list for the week of April 4, 1964.
  • The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
  • Some bamboo plants grow at a rate of three feet a day.
  • Winston Churchill originated the phrase “”blood, sweat and tears,”” though his original phrase was “”bloody, toil, tears and sweat.””
  • Battleship was played as a paper-and-pencil game for decades before a fabricated plastic version was sold in toy stores.
  • Hot water is heavier than cold water.
  • The name of fungal remains found in coal is sclerotinite.
  • When he died in 1982, “”Dragnet”” star Jack Webb became the first civilian in Los Angeles to be buried with full police honors. His badge number, 714, was also retired.
  • Human birth-control pills work on gorillas.
  • The oldest town in Belgium is Tongeren.
  • Facts courtesy of “”The Book of Useless Information”” and “”The Pocket Idiot’s Guide: Not So Useless Information””