Cat Mix: Presidents Day

Cat Mix: Presidents Day

Pick a theme. Pick five songs. Party.

1. Of Great and Mortal Men: 43 Songs for 43 U.S. Presidencies

This anthology is the one to top them all. In a project originally undertaken as part of “”February Album Writing Month,”” songwriters J. Matthew Gerken, Christian Kiefer and Jefferson Pitcher wrote 42 songs, one about each U.S. president, in February 2006. This collection is the one — and likely only — worthwhile gift to give someone on Presidents Day.

—Steven Kwan

2. ‘America, F*ck Yeah’ by Trey Parker

Presidents Day, F*uck Yeah! Ranked basketball team, F*uck Yeah! Trying hard in class, F*uck Yeah! Letters from Mal, F*uck Yeah! Pokemon during class, F*uck Yeah! Journalistic integrity, F*uck Yeah! Paradise Bakery, F*uck Yeah! Freedom of speech, F*uck Yeah! Asterisks, F*uck Yeah!

—Remy Albillar

3. ‘The Presidents’ by Animaniacs

For the 75th episode, Steven Spielberg’s “”Animaniacs”” honored President’s Day with a song about each U.S. president up to Bill Clinton. For a topical song, it still holds up surprisingly well, as do many “”Animaniacs”” episodes.

— Steven Kwan

4. ‘Peaches’ by Presidents of the United States

Most are positive this song has nothing to do with actual peaches. Maybe it’s about the kind of peaches Nicolas Cage talks about “”eating for hours”” in the 1997 Academy Award Winner of Best Movie Ever “”Face/Off.”” Think about it. It’s what the Founding Fathers would have wanted.

—Remy Albillar

5. ‘Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta’ by Geto Boys

There’s a lot of responsibility when you got the world swingin’ from your nuts. Play your cards right, make deals and occasionally send a million troops to die at war. This eminently quotable hit of “”Office Space”” fame proves that, damn, the U.S. president is the world’s top gangster.

—Brandon Specktor