Indie theaters that don’t break the bank

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Aodhan Lyons, organized a HAiti benefit concert at Fox Theater.
    Lisa Beth Earle
    Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Aodhan Lyons, organized a HAiti benefit concert at Fox Theater.

You want to watch a movie, but you don’t know where to go. Well, instead of driving 15-20 minutes away from campus to watch an overpriced and potentially unoriginal mainstream movie at major theaters, make your way to one of Tucson’s independent theaters and catch the flicks that started it all.

The Loft Cinema

3233 E. Speedway Blvd. (520) 322-5638

All ages. Alcohol sales to 21+

If you’re into classic flicks, documentaries, obscure horror or independent and foreign films, then The Loft is for you. Just a 10-minute drive from the UA, this non-profit organization is known to host random films and fun events like the monthly screening and participation of “”The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”” Be sure to also enjoy its non-traditional movie snacks: pizza and beer.

Ticket prices and movie times:

www.loftcinema.com.

Cinema La Placita

Outdoor Film Series

110 Church Ave. (520) 326-5282

There’s nothing more blissful than watching a good movie under the summer-night sky. At Cinema La Placita, you’ll be able to experience this perfection for free, though a $3 donation is accepted. Every Thursday night until October, this outdoor film series presents a classic American or British film that dates back as early as the 1940s on into the late 1980s. Also, don’t forget to enjoy the complimentary all-you-can-eat popcorn.

Movie schedule: www.cinemalaplacita.com

Fox Tucson Theatre

17 W. Congress St. (520) 624-1515

Located in the heart of downtown, Fox Tucson Theatre can provide you with a historical experience of a lifetime. Here, you can enjoy the ‘30s atmosphere as the theater presents one of its many beloved classic films that date back as early as the theater’s original opening (1930s). Don’t forget to also enjoy its live concerts and performances hosted throughout the year.

Movie schedule:  www.foxtucsontheatre.org

Casa Video

2905 E. Speedway Blvd. (520) 326-6314

If Tucson’s independent theaters do not feed your current needs, check out Casa Video, located about 10 minutes east of the UA. Ranked “”Best Video Store”” by the Tucson Weekly for eight years, this two-story movie rental shop lets you enjoy free popcorn while you browse through its immense movie selection of old and new Hollywood blockbusters, musicals, independent and foreign films. It’s guaranteed that your first experience there will put Blockbuster and Redbox to shame.

Browse movies online: www.casavideo.com