Sky Bar celebrates summer solstice with fire and the arts

Ernie Somoza
    Ernie Somoza/Arizona Daily Wildcat Residents turned off their lights and electronics for Earth Hour and flocked to the University of Arizona Mall saturday night to enjoy entertainment hosted by Residence Hall Association. The event featured performances from the Charles Darwin Experience, Elemental Artistry, and Planet Djembe.

As kids, we dreaded the moment when the sun dipped below the horizon and our parents called us back inside. But today, as the sun remains in the sky for the longest time out of the year for summer solstice, the celebration and entertainment will begin at Sky Bar on Fourth Avenue once the sun sets.

The Elemental Artistry fire dancing troupe will kick off the night performing choreographed fire-eating and stilt-walking routines they have prepared just for the night.

Orbital Evolution will take hula-hooping to a whole new level, illuminating the hoops with colorful LED lights that put your dollar store hoop to shame.

The night will continue with juggling props in comedic proportion from the Wonderfools and mount up to a climactic display of juggling humans. Partner acro-yoga, performed by Flight School Acrobatics, will dazzle even the most gymnastically-challenged, with mid-air jumps and leaps as people are effortlessly tossed.

Elemental Artistry will be performing to the combined musical forces of The Bennu, Tucson’s jazz-funk improvisational band, and DJ Joshua Pocalips.

The evening’s music is meant to bring the audience an “intergalactic experience of live music intertwined with performance art,” according to Hotlist.com.

The fun is not merely kept outside under the starry skies. Inside Sky Bar, DJ Odious will host open-mic night from 6 p.m. to midnight.