South by Southwest on a student budget

South by Southwest, Austin, Texas’ film and music festival, is not just for those who have enough money to pay for the high-priced ticket. What few people seem to know about the event that runs through this weekend is that there are hundreds of free parties and shows open to the general public, which means it’s totally feasible for a student budget.

Tuesday kicked off the music portion of the festival, which has arguably been the most popular part of the festival in recent years. Although free parties and unofficial shows are regularly scheduled along with each official SXSW show, the free events are somewhat overshadowed by the official showcases.

The bands and artists that performed this year include big-name artists such as Lady Gaga as well as up-and-coming bands like American Authors. However, equally popular names in music have announced their involvement in free shows throughout the week, which means that everyone can afford to party at SXSW — even broke college students.

One of Austin’s largest record stores, Waterloo, has free concerts Wednesday through Saturday, and the artists playing aren’t unheard of by any means — The 1975, Charli XCX and Cash Cash are just a few of the headliners for the day parties.

Butler Park is hosting Foster the People and Childish Gambino for free shows over the weekend.

MTV will host the annual Woodie Awards across the street from the Austin Convention Center on Thursday.

For those who are of legal drinking age, there are plenty of nighttime shows at bars throughout downtown featuring live bands.

The Hype Hotel, a Taco Bell-sponsored event that has featured artists such as Passion Pit, is not only one of the most popular venues at SXSW, it’s also one of the venues that is free.

And Austin itself is home to many unique experiences, such as a graffiti park, historic record stores, outdoor attractions like Barton Springs Pool and award-winning barbecue.

At face value, SXSW is not a cheap event. Walk-up prices for a music badge cost nearly $800. However, dig a little deeper and you’ll find that SXSW offers a ton of entertainment for very little money.