Police Beat: March 21

Swaying side to side

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near Broadway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue when they saw a silver Toyota Prius veering in and out of a lane at 12:37 a.m. on Saturday. Officers pulled over the vehicle, and asked the student for his driver’s license and registration. The officers told him why they pulled him over and asked if he had consumed any alcohol. The student told them he had one drink, and accidentally gave officers his credit card instead of his driver’s license. The officers asked again if they could see his license and registration, and to step out of his car so they could do a sobriety test and a breath analysis.

As the student spoke to officers, they noticed a strong smell of alcohol coming from his breath and that he had bloodshot eyes. The student also failed both sobriety tests. The student was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and for having a blood alcohol level of .15. He was searched and taken to UAPD headquarters. He was later released and took a cab home.

He couldn’t hold it

A UAPD officer was on patrol when he saw a homeless man urinating in public at 9:44 a.m. on Sunday. The officer was pulling into a parking lot on campus when he saw a man whom he’d been in contact with before. The man was wearing a dirty white T-shirt and faded pants, and was sitting in a parking space.

The officer then watched the man stand up and start to urinate on a light pole. He turned on his emergency lights and began driving toward the homeless man, calling out his name and telling him to stop. The officer told the man that he had been previously banned from the UA. The man turned around and said, “Oh, sorry, I just had to piss and when I got to go, I got to go.” The officer arrested the man for criminal trespassing and urinating in public. He was booked at the Pima County Jail.

Fast and furious

A UAPD officer was monitoring traffic on Euclid Avenue and Lee Street when he noticed a black Mitsubishi Eclipse traveling south at 9:55 a.m. on Saturday. The officer pulled out his radar gun and clocked the student traveling at 65 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The officer pulled over the driver and asked for his driver’s license and registration. The student told the officer he did not have insurance. When the student began searching for his driver’s license, he also told the officer that he could not find it. The student eventually found his driver’s license. The officer also told the student that he did not have his seatbelt on. The student was cited for criminal speeding, not having insurance and not wearing a seatbelt.