Top 5 picks of the week

This week’s Hollywood releases are a bit weak, but thankfully, Tucson has a big movie weekend in store. If you’re not down with the Arizona International Film Festival, there are some other options, including a cheesy thriller, a hilarious British comedy and a classic war film.

Arizona International Film Festival

Go hog-wild this weekend with a ton of great independent movies playing all across town. For more information about films and scheduling, visit www.filmfestivalarizona.com.

>h2>””Vacancy””

Does Luke Wilson have what it takes to be a convincing actor in this thriller? Maybe not, but co-star Kate Beckinsale sure does. This film is likely to make you appreciate even the crappiest motel you’ve stayed in. At least the proprietors didn’t torture you.

“”Hot Fuzz””

This movie looks so ridiculous that it may be great. From the writers of “”Shaun of the Dead”” comes this British action comedy about police officers. Playing only at Century 20 El Con.

“”Full Metal Jacket””

War has long been common subject matter for movies, but this 1987 classic may be the best of its genre. Stanley Kubrick was a master of film, and this film illustrates that fact vividly. Playing only at The Loft Cinema tonight and tomorrow night.

“”In the Land Of Women””

“”The O.C.’s”” Adam Brody stars alongside famous actresses Olympia Dukakis and Meg Ryan in this romantic comedy. Guys out there should immediately recognize this as the perfect date movie for the weekend.

– compiled by Patrick Valenzuela