The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

60° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Elderly woman critically injured in Fort Worth house fire


    An 82-year-old bedridden woman was critically injured Tuesday morning when a fire, apparently sparked by a lighted candle, broke out in her southwest Fort Worth home.

    The woman’s husband and a neighbor who tried to rescue her suffered minor injuries.

    Firefighters were called to the 6120 block of Wales Court shortly before 9 a.m., according to a Fire Department news release.

    The woman was initially reported as having died because she showed no signs of life and had extensive injuries, the release stated. After pulling her from the house, emergency responders saw signs of life and treated her.

    She was taken by helicopter ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital’s Burn Center, the release stated. She was listed in critical condition, according to Parkland.

    Property records matched with neighbors’ accounts identify her as 82-year-old Alma Johnson.

    Her husband, John Johnson, was home at the time and discovered the fire. He was taken by ground ambulance to a local hospital with minor injuries, the release stated.

    Neighbor Louis Paquette and his daughter’s boyfriend, Allen Hallman, broke the front bedroom window in an attempt to rescue Alma Johnson.

    Unable to enter the room because of the intense flames, Hallman retrieved a garden hose and Paquette sprayed water inside to douse the flames and protect Johnson.

    “”She was in a hospital bed,”” said Paquette, who suffered burns on his right hand from the burning windowsill. “”I was just keeping it right on her because I could see her in there. She was moving around a little bit, and I could see her breathing.””

    Staff writer Chance Welch contributed to this report.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search