Police Beat

An officer responded to a call of a vehicle stopped on East Speedway Boulevard and North Euclid Avenue around 2:30 a.m. April 3.

University of Arizona Police Department responded to the call to assist the Tucson Police Department after a witness had called 911.

Police arrived on scene and noticed a silver Chevy S-10 truck in the middle of the intersection.

An officer repeatedly tapped on the driver’s side window and the driver was unresponsive. The officer opened the door and noticed the driver appeared to be sleeping while the car was running.

According to reports, the stereo was very loud and the driver’s foot was on the brake. Another officer was able to wake the driver, who then tried to turn off the car and remove the keys from the ignition.

The man had red and watery eyes. Police told the man that he was under arrest for driving under the influence, and the man tried to resist arrest.

The UAPD officer told the man that he would be tasered if he didn’t stop resisting, and the man became cooperative.

The man was booked into Pima County Jail and his vehicle was towed.

Two students were arrested near East Speedway Boulevard at 6:06 p.m. April 3 for various offenses.

Police saw a gray 2004 Infiniti G35 fail to stop at a stop sign. The vehicle turned westbound on Speedway Boulevard into the improper lane.

Police pulled the vehicle over for those two traffic violations and noticed a smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle.

The driver acknowledged that he did not come to a complete stop but said he was unaware of anything illegal in his vehicle.

Police asked all four occupants to get out. A records check found that one occupant had an outstanding warrant issued by UAPD.

The student was arrested. Police found a plastic bag containing what appeared to be marijuana in his right shorts pocket. The student was charged with possession of marijuana and failure to appear for a previous court date.

During a search of the vehicle, police also found “”loose leaf marijuana”” in the ashtray and center console.

A backpack found in the trunk, later revealed to belong to the driver, contained a bag of marijuana and a silver grinder.

The driver said both items were his. He was arrested for two traffic violations, failure to provide proof of insurance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

He was cited and released at the scene, while the other arrested student was booked into Pima County Jail for his outstanding warrant.

An officer responded to a report of an unknown person vandalizing a student’s bicycle at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., at 10:57 a.m. April 4.

According to reports, a female student parked her bicycle and secured it at the bike rack located outside Babcock Residence Hall around 4 p.m. April 3. At 10 a.m. April 4, the student got on her bicycle and rode away.

While riding the bicycle, she noticed that her brakes weren’t functioning and there appeared to be a “”neat, even cut”” on her brake cable, reports stated. The student said she had no conflicts with anyone and did not know who might have cut her brake line.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student was charged with having a fictitious driver’s license at the UAPD station, 1852 E. First St., around 5:45 p.m. April 4.

A female student entered the station to retrieve a purse she had left there the previous night. An officer spoke with her about the contents of her purse and showed her a fake California driver’s license, which was found inside.

The student acknowledged that the license belonged to her. The officer asked where she got it and how much she paid for it. She said she bought it for $180 in California when she was 15.

The student said she needed the fake license to “”drink at bars with friends,”” reports stated.

The student was cited for possessing a fictitious driver’s license and was released at the scene.

A female student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office at 11:48 p.m. April 4 for being intoxicated.

An officer noticed the student stumbling as she walked northbound on North Cherry Avenue. The officer stopped the student at North Cherry Avenue and East Speedway Boulevard to talk to her.

The student said she was going to visit a friend who was having a bad day.

The officer noticed that her breath smelled like alcohol, and her eyes were red and watery. The student told the officer that she had a few drinks that night.

Police walked her home and diverted her to the Dean of Students Office.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu