Police Beat: October 14

Dude, there’s my bike

A UA student called the University of Arizona Police Department Tuesday at 3:19 p.m. to report he had found his bicycle which he had previously reported stolen.

A UAPD officer met the student outside of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall where the student found a bike that matched his. He said he had last seen his bike a week ago when he locked it on a bike rack east of the dorm.

The student provided the serial number to his bike and the officer called Parking and Transportation Services to break the lock on the bike.

Honesty is the best policy

Two UA students were cited and released for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall on Tuesday at 8:20 p.m.

Two UAPD officers met with a resident assistant who told them a student had complained about having seen drug paraphernalia in a room. The RA took the officers to the reported room where they could smell marijuana. The resident of the room opened the door and let the officers in.

When the officers entered the room, the smell of marijuana grew stronger. Another UA student was also in the room, who claimed he was visiting the resident. The officers told the student why they were there and the student asked the officers if they wanted the marijuana that was in his room.

The student then handed the officers a plastic container with marijuana from his desk and a glass water pipe, which the student claimed he had been smoking with. He told the officers he had a medical marijuana card from California, but knew it wasn’t valid on campus.

An officer spoke to the student and read him his Miranda rights. The student said he bought his marijuana from “some guy” at Tyndall Avenue Garage. He believed he was a student as well and was referred to him by a friend.

The officer asked him if he had more drug paraphernalia and he said he had another glass water pipe and a homemade “gravity bong.” The student stated he uses both to smoke out of and that he and his friend had been smoking out of them just minutes prior to the officers’ arrival.

The officers also questioned the visitor, who admitted to have been smoking with the resident, but claimed none of the paraphernalia was his and that he doesn’t purchase marijuana for his personal use.

The visitor was charged with possession of marijuana and the resident with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. Both were cited and released.

It wasn’t me

A UA student was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of prescription drugs, on Tuesday at approximately 3:10 p.m., after being pulled over by a UAPD officer who was conducting speed enforcement.

The officer pulled the student over for going 45 mph in a 30 mph zone near the intersection of Sixth Street and National Championship Drive.

While the student was looking for his registration, the UAPD officer smelled marijuana and saw a bag of marijuana inside the driver’s side map pocket. After searching the vehicle, the officer found a black container with a marijuana pipe and lighter and a baggie of four white pills and one gray pill inside.

The pills were confirmed to be a generic form of Ritalin by the Poison Control Center. The student said he had no idea the marijuana and pipe were in his car and claimed it was his friends because they borrow his car frequently.

He said the pills were his but were in his car in case of an emergency. The student was charged and released at the scene.

– Follow Adriana Espinosa @adri_eee