Chicago athlete found dead in Fla. resort lake

A college athlete formerly from Hyde Park Academy drowned while staying at a Florida resort with her track teammates from Central State University.

Jasmine Crenshaw, 22, was last seen Saturday, swimming with teammates in a lake, her mother, Jackie Crenshaw, said. The team was staying at Summer Bay Resort in Clermont, according to the website of Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio. The university’s men’s and women’s track teams competed in dual meets in Florida Friday and Saturday.

Divers found Crenshaw’s body Sunday morning about 15 feet from shore. She was wearing a bathing suit and goggles.

Jackie Crenshaw questioned how her daughter went missing while with her teammates.

“”What I didn’t understand was how 30 students could be out in the water and no one noticed Jasmine was not there,”” she said.

Jackie Crenshaw received a call from one of her daughter’s coaches Saturday night. The coach told her “”there had been an accident and all the kids had come out but Jasmine had not,”” Crenshaw said.

The coach called Crenshaw later that night and told her that, despite searches, Jasmine had not yet been found.

“”He broke down and started crying and told me they hadn’t found her,”” Crenshaw said.

Jasmine was the first in her family to go to college, Crenshaw said. An athlete since 7th grade, Jasmine attended high school at Hyde Park Academy, where she played basketball and track. As a senior, she qualified for the Class AA state track meet in the 800 meters.

“”She really loved sports,”” Crenshaw said. “”I was very proud of her.””

Jasmine received a sports scholarship and attended Lewis University, where she ran middle distances for a year before transferring to Central State, Crenshaw said. Jasmine was majoring in criminal justice and wanted to be a police officer.

Crenshaw and Jasmine were close, talking on the phone “”three or four times a day,”” Crenshaw said. Jasmine would call her mother in the mornings, before track practice, as she was walking to her room after practice and “”always before she’d go to bed at night.””

Jasmine was a popular student with a lot of friends, Crenshaw said.

“”She was just an outspoken, outgoing person,”” Crenshaw said. “”It’s just a shock to all of us.””

Jasmine had one sister and four brothers.