Police Beat: December 4

Weed, guns and stress

A non UA-affiliated man was arrested on charges of possessing marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license. A University of Arizona Police Department officer also found a gun in the man’s car.

The UAPD officer pulled the man over on Nov. 29 at Ring Road and Elm Street after noticing that the car’s Arizona registration had expired.

The man said he’d recently retrieved the car from impoundment three days before and that the car was registered under his girlfriend’s name. The officer found that the man’s driver’s license had been suspended due to failure to pay for a citation and appear in Tucson City Court on two separate occasions.

Since the car had to be impounded again, the UAPD officer conducted an inventory of the vehicle. A SCCY 9mm pistol in a holster was found, as well as a small glass jar containing a marijuana pipe and residue. The shake from the pipe and residue weighed 0.2 grams.

The man said he had the pistol because he had been stressed the last couple of days. When the officer placed the pipe and residue on the hood of the car, the man replied, “I know how this works. It’s in my car, so it’s mine, but I think it’s my cousin’s.”

The man was cited and released, then told to leave UA grounds because of the weapons-on-campus policy. The car was towed and impounded.

Financial British invasion

A UAPD officer went to Steward Observatory to speak with a UA employee about $2,167.04 of fraudulent charges made in England on Nov. 29.

The employee had received a call from her bank on Nov. 12 asking to verify charges. She thought that the card’s account had been closed more than a year ago.

The woman gave UAPD three receipts showing the unauthorized charges, which were then submitted to UAPD’s evidence room.

Dank stank leads to bong bust

A UA student in Coronado Residence Hall was cited for possession of drug paraphernalia after UAPD officers questioned him and a woman in his dorm room.

UAPD officers went to the man’s room after receiving a report of an odor of marijuana coming from the resident’s room.

When officers arrived, they too noticed the smell and knocked on the resident’s door. The resident answered in just his shorts, saying he was with a girl. An officer asked if everyone was comfortably dressed for him to come in, and the woman said she was fine, but wanted a blanket to cover herself up more.

The officer said he was in the room because of the smell of marijuana. The resident said he hadn’t smoked in the room, but had used marijuana in the past, off campus. Upon further questioning, the resident also admitted to smoking out of a bong that he then retrieved from under his bed.

The woman admitted to having smoked from the bong as well, but the resident said it belonged solely to him and that she had no relation to it. Both had dilated pupils and bloodshot eyes.

The student was then referred to the dean of students for diversion of drug paraphernalia.