Fast Facts

• The Hoover Dam was built to last 2,000 years. The concrete in it will not even be fully cured for another 500 years.
  • In Turkey, the color of mourning is violet. In most Muslim countries and in
    China, it is white.
  • The most dangerous job in the United States is that of sanitation workers. Fire fighters and police officers are a close second and third, followed by leather tanners in fourth place.
  • Vodka sales makes up 10 percent of Russian government income.
  • In 1936, American track star Jesse Owens beat a racehorse over a 100-yard course. The horse was given a head start.
  • At any given time, there are 1,800 thunderstorms in progress over the earth’s atmosphere.
  • More than a third of the field mice in the Kesterson National Wildlife refuge near Los Banos, Calif., have both male and female
    reproductive organs.
  • Traveling by air is the safest means of transportation. Every year, more people are killed by donkeys than in plane crashes.
  • The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska was $80,000.
  • The only three U.S. presidents who ever had to deal with real or impending impeachment – Andrew Johnson, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton – all have names that are euphemisms for “”penis”” – Johnson, Dick and Willie.
  • The Beatles performed their first U.S. concert in Carnegie Hall.
  • The most difficult tongue twisteris “”The sixth sick Sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick.””
  • A full 7 percent of the entire Irish barley crop goes into the production of Guinness beer.
  • The average Americanchews 190 sticks of gum, drinks 600 sodas and 800 gallons of water and eats 135 pounds of sugar and 19
    pounds of cereal per year.