Suspect in prof. murder may face death penalty

Marco A. Chavez, 31, a suspect in the murder of UA professor Mac E. Hadley, will face his first in a series of pre-trial court hearings April 2, according to Pima County Superior Court officials.

Chavez is facing charges including first degree murder and may be given the death penalty if convicted.

“”The state has filed an allegation noticing intent to seek the death penalty,”” said

The state has filed an allegation noticing intent to seek the death penalty.

– Darlene Armbruster, defense attorney

Darlene Armbruster, Chavez’ defense attorney, although she could not comment further on the specifics of the case. The body of Hadley, 76, was discovered after a fire burned his house down on Nov. 15.

Police discovered Hadley’s 1996 Camry in Nogales, Ariz., which led them to Chavez, whom they arrested as a suspect shortly after.

Hadley was found dead, and police believe Chavez set the house on fire to cover up the murder.

There are no new developments in the case and the suspect is in the hands of the County Attorney’s Office, said Sgt. Mark Robinson, public information officer with the Tucson Police Department.

Robinson said the investigation is most likely closed, although he was not certain.

Before his death, Hadley was a member of the cell biology and anatomy department. The week of his death, Hadley was in the process of negotiating a $200 million deal involving his research on melanocortin hormones with other UA researchers.

His text on endocrinology is in its sixth edition.

The trial is open to the public and will be held in the Pima Superior County Courthouse, 111 W. Congress St.