Police Beat: November 29

Turkey Day tire thief

A larceny was reported near Babcock Residence Hall after a man sped off in a Toyota RAV4 following his theft of a bike tire at around 1 p.m. on Nov. 22.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer spoke with a man who saw the thief use hand tools to remove the tire from the bike and then leave.

The suspect was wearing a red shirt with blue jeans, and was accompanied by a female passenger in the car. A description of her could not be provided. The getaway car had an Arizona license plate, but the witness said the lettering was unreadable.

The yellow and pink Huffy Cranbrook that the tire was stolen from was secured to a chain fence near the residence hall with a cable lock. The man who had reported the crime waited 15 minutes after he saw the incident to call the police, because he was unsure if the man was actually stealing the tire and became nervous.

Due to the holiday, officers were unable to find and notify the owner of the bike. No serial number was available to track it, and there are currently no suspects.

Repeat offender must face the music

A UAPD officer responded to a report of the recurring odor of marijuana at the Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall at 7:01 p.m. on Nov. 19. When the officer arrived, a resident assistant led the way to the room the smell was coming from. He said that police had spoken to the room’s residents several times before.

As the officer approached the room, he too noticed the scent of fresh-smelling, unburnt marijuana. The officer knocked on the door and was let in by a UA student identified with a Massachusetts driver’s license.

The student denied having or smoking marijuana in the room, but said he’d smoked off-campus as recently as Thursday or Friday. The student then refused the officer’s request to search for any narcotics in the room, which a records check showed he’d previously been arrested for possession of.

The officer completed a code of conduct referral and arranged for the student to meet with a community director.

Trail goes cold on missing skateboard

The theft of a motorized skateboard was reported at the bike racks near Pueblo de la Cienega Residence Hall at 4:45 p.m. on Nov. 20. UAPD spoke with a student who said his skateboard was secured with a U-lock as recently as 2 a.m., but when he returned later in the morning, it was missing. No remnants of the skateboard or lock could be traced for evidence.
    The student said he wanted to follow through with judicial proceedings if a suspect was located.