Limiting prom dress selection unfair to students

For many high school seniors, prom is the highlight of the year. Although guys like to look spiffy in their crisp tuxedo, the real spotlight is on the girls’ extravagant dresses. The constant concern seesm to be, however, whether or not certain dresses are appropriate for the big dance. In reality though, this shouldn’t even be a question, because there should be no dress code on prom night.

Girls prowl the Internet and malls to find the perfect gown even before they get asked to the dance, but according to the Wall Street Journal, the principal at Cedartown High School, in Georgia, labeled some dresses unacceptable.

But that prom picture will be on the mantel for months and it’s supposed to be a magical memory. If students don’t love the way they look that night, it could ruin their mood which will ruin the whole experience.

“I believe that prom night is a special night for girls to feel beautiful and express themselves,” said Rayna McParlane, a pre-nursing freshman. “Prom is not held during school … so a dress code is not really necessary.”

Because some girls might arrive at prom with their date in an unacceptable dress, and to avoid the many bitch fits, prom organizers at Cedartown High School are offering dress approval in advance and relying on PowerPoint presentations to show what will be allowed at the dance.

According to the Huffington Post, “side cutouts, plunging backless-ness, overly exposed midriffs and sheer” are on the hot list (or should I say not list). Hollywood’s hottest celebrities are to blame for these A-list trends. Girls’ eyes are glued to magazines like Glamour and Seventeen scoping ideas for their dream dress. High school girls look up to actresses like Emma Stone and Selena Gomez who attend awards ceremonies such as the Oscars in dresses with thigh-high slits and plummeting neck lines, but they aren’t allowed to dress like them? Prom is an extravagant event like the Oscars and it’s a chance for every student to be a celebrity and they deserve that red carpet for one night.

Most of these students are 18, or are about to be 18. As adults, their schools should respect their fashion choices at special off-campus events.

Students should be free to look as glamorous as they want because they’re not during school hours and it’s only for one night. It’s the one time where students can show off their style in a sophisticated fashion, have fun while looking like celebrities and take pictures all night. A dress code on prom night is unacceptable.

— Cheryl Gamachi is a pre-journalism freshman. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu or on Twitter via @WildcatOpinions .