Campus ‘Cats: Erin Copley

Do you plan on voting in tomorrow’s election?

Actually I already voted absentee, because I am from out of state. So, I had to mail it in.

Why do you think it’s important for young people to vote?

I think it is important to vote because young people should be a part of the democratic process, and a lot of people take it for granted that we have a say in what happens to our country. I feel … that young people should be more involved and stay involved in politics. Young people are going to be dealing with the issues that our country will face in the future. Especially in this election, the outcome will affect the kind of jobs that are available and the economy.

What are some differences between the election of 2004 and this election of 2008?

I think this election is one of the more important ones that we have had in my lifetime, because first of all, we have an African-American running for president and also having Hillary Clinton run in the primaries. These are huge steps for America. I just think that because of our economy being so poor at the moment, it’s important that we have a strong leader that can help us through this crisis.

Has the media had an effect on this election?

I think that the media has gotten young people more interested in the political process. The skits they have done on (“”Saturday Night Live””) have been pretty entertaining. However, I do not think that the media really change people’s opinions on who they are going to vote for. In the end, people are going to vote for someone that will help themselves and their family.

-Kelsey Ahlmark