3 candidates for governor debate at UA

Arizona gubernatorial candidates will participate in the only debate in Southern Arizona tonight at the UA, according to student government officials.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog said she expects a turnout of about 1,000 people in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center for the debate. The debate is one of three between all three candidates to take place in Arizona before the Nov. 3 election.

Students can submit question suggestions for the debate to the ASUA Web site until noon today, Hertzog said.

“”As students, there are a number of issues we face daily,”” Hertzog said. “”I would like to see a variety of questions from students about various issues and how these issues will affect them.””

Libertarian Barry Hess, one of three candidates participating in the debate, said he expects the debate to touch upon education, health care, transportation and tax issues.

“”There will be lots of issues discussed at this debate that haven’t been seen yet,”” Hess said. “”I think we need to address education primarily, because our government’s school system is in a dismal wreck.””

Hess said he wants to address issues that affect younger generations, such as individual freedom and student debt, and expects to discuss issues concerning immigration and the environment.

“”When I am in my rocking chair, I want to look back and say that I did all I could to preserve the individual freedoms of the younger generation,”” Hess said.

Hess said he will debate from a “”free market perspective,”” to illustrate the need to limit governmental control.

“”I will discuss the preservation of our individual rights, the right to be who we are without controls,”” Hess said.

The other two candidates, Republican Len Munsil and Democratic Gov. Janet Napolitano, were not available for comment.

According to Napolitano’s Web site, her top priorities involve children, education and creating jobs.

Munsil’s Web site lists his top priorities as deterring illegal immigration by building a fence around the border, lowering taxes and “”protecting forests, children and marriage.””

Munsil was the “”architect”” of Protect Marriage Arizona, Proposition 107, which establishes marriage as a union between a man and a woman, according to his Web site.

“”This is a battle between people and the government overstepping their boundaries,”” Hess said of the marriage issue. “”This is not a Democratic, Republican, Libertarian thing. The freedom on which this country is founded on is being lost in the shuffle.””

Hertzog said she and her cabinet have been working since May to plan the debate.

“”We had to be really flexible and work around the candidates’ schedules, and we finally solidified the debate about a week ago,”” Hertzog said.

Alicia Martinez, an anthropology junior, said she would like to hear the candidates discuss immigration issues.

Marni Casetta, a psychology sophomore, said she is interested in hearing discussion on Arizona water usage, immigration, education and the candidates’ positions on health care.

While the debate begins at 7 p.m., doors will close at 6:45 p.m., and students are advised to arrive early, Hertzog said.

“”We are expecting a large turnout for the debate, but we really want to get students in also,”” Hertzog said.

The debate will be televised live on KUAT-TV, which may also provide feeds to National Public Radio stations and C-SPAN, Hertzog said.

Bill Buckmaster of KUAT-TV will moderate the debate, and Ann Brown, the opinion page editor for the Arizona Daily Star, and Mark Kimble, the associate editor for the Tucson Citizen, will be panelists for the debate, according to a press release.

The debate is sponsored by Children’s Action Alliance and ASUA, according to a press release.