The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

84° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


    Police Beat: October 18

    The syringe and the spoon

    Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were dispatched to the Comstock House on the University of Arizona Medical Center ­— University Campus at 5:14 p.m. in reference to a suspicious person, described as a man with red hair. The man had been sitting inside the building behind the desk in the front lobby for the past hour, not doing anything.

    When the officers arrived at the scene, they saw a man who matched the description sitting at the desk, and asked him to identify himself. The man provided the officer with an Arizona identification card.

    One of the officers asked the man if he knew of anyone calling the police to report a suspicious person. The man stood up, pointed down a nearby hallway and began to talk in a loud voice.

    As officers asked the man questions he started to get jittery. He said that he had been waiting for a family member to pick him up, since 4:15 p.m., and that he had been waiting for about 30 minutes. He added that he expected his ride to show up at around 5:45.

    One of the officers asked the man if he was carrying any weapons. The man said no and police asked dispatch to check for any warrants under the man’s name. The search returned multiple warrants from the Tucson Police Department, the Arizona Department of Public Safety and Oro Valley Police Department.

    Once officers confirmed the warrants, they searched the man. They found a syringe full of brown liquid in the man’s pocket, along with a spoon that had some black residue on it. An officer then read the man his Miranda Rights. When asked, the man told officers that the substance was heroin, and that he had last used it that morning.

    The man was arrested and taken to Pima County Jail for the three warrants and two felony charges. The syringe and spoon were placed into property and evidence. After field-testing, the heroin came back positive for opium, and was later sent to the Department of Public Safety for scientific analysis.

    What? Fraternities don’t party

    A UAPD officer responded to the lobby of the Manzanita Mohave Residence Hall in reference to an unconscious girl. When the officer arrived, UA Student Emergency Medical Services and members of the Tucson Fire Department were already on the scene.

    The girl was identified with a Washington driver’s license as being 17 years old, and was unable to answer any of the officer’s questions. The officer noticed a strong smell of alcohol around her. She was transported to UAMC for extreme intoxication.

    The officer later determined that the girl was visiting a resident of the hall from out of town and was returning to Washington the next day. After speaking with a woman who had been with the intoxicated girl, the officer learned that she was among a group of four who had attended a party at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house. While at the house, the group had split up, but the girl’s friend said she saw her take between five and 10 shots of vodka. She said that she didn’t know who had provided the alcohol.

    The group left the party later, and when they all arrived back at the residence hall, the girl fell unconscious in the lobby. The officer could not find any indication that the girl’s friends had been drinking.

    The officer then went to UAMC and spoke with the hospital’s staff, who had found a phone number labeled “home” in the girl’s cell phone. The officer called the number and left a message explaining that the girl had been transported to the hospital and that she was OK.

    The officer then went to the fraternity house, where he saw no signs of a party. UAPD’s liaison officer for the fraternity spoke via telephone with a member of the fraternity, who explained that almost all of their members were in Las Vegas. A member who was in town denied that any gatherings or house parties had taken place.

    The fraternity’s liaison officer returned to UAMC and spoke with the girl when she was able to answer questions. The girl told the officer that she remembered drinking the vodka at an off-campus house party and taking a taxicab from there, but didn’t remember anything else.

    The girl also said that her mother was in Tucson with her. The first officer called the girl’s mother and told her that her daughter was OK, but had been transported to UAMC for intoxication.

    Hey, mama I stole your stereo

    A UAPD officer went to the parking lot on the corner of Mountain Avenue and Fort Lowell Road in reference to a stereo that had been stolen from a car.

    The officer met with the UA student who owned the car the stereo was stolen from — a BMW convertible. The roof of the car was a soft-top, and had been slashed open, and it appeared as if the knife was also used to pry the roof open. A touchscreen Sony stereo, which the student valued at about $2,500, was missing from the car.

    The student explained to the officer that she had parked her car in the lot at about 10:20 a.m., locked the car and walked to a nearby CatTran bus stop. She said she had noticed two men, who yelled, “Hey, mama!” at her while she waited for the bus. At about 4:00 p.m., she returned to her car to find the roof slashed open.

    The student said that the roof of the car was worth about $5,000. The officer found no fingerprints at the scene or anything else that could be used as evidence.

    The student told the officer that she would like to be included in the prosecutorial process, and signed a victim’s rights form. Photos were taken of the damage and placed into property and evidence.

    More to Discover
    Activate Search